[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Antagonists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
What do you do if your antagonist is turning out to be more interesting than your protagonist? Besides killing yourself.

Have you ever switched the backstories of your antagonist and protagonist?
>>
What's the fucking problem with an antagonist being more interesting than the protagonist?
Just fucking keep going.
>>
>antagonist
You sure you're writing literature there, sport?
>>
File: 1449969288638.jpg (18 KB, 499x499) Image search: [Google]
1449969288638.jpg
18 KB, 499x499
>protagonist
>antagonist
>>
Just work to make your protagonist equally interesting
>>
>>8096653

I prefer well-written antagonists.
>>
>>8096653
This seems like a non-problem.
It doesn't matter at all, if anything, people tend to prefere that
>>
>>8096753
If the villain overshadows the protag then its an unequal conflict that leaves the story lopsided, no matter how much kids like to root for the Edge Lord.

The best stories have two equal forces clashing, thats what generates the real excitement.
>>
>>8096758
Just because he's more interesting doesn't mean it will be lopsided.
And it could be your artistic wont. Or you could git gud and explore the protag more.
>>
>>8096774
From my own experience, when a character isn't interesting that means they're hardly developed.
>>
>>8096783
No shit
>>
>>8096788
Whats our uh..."discussion" then?
>>
>>8096653
It just means you're writing that kind of story. There's nothing wrong with having an antagonist that's more interesting than the protagonist as long as you recognize this and actually write enough about the antagonist to not make readers think "Wow I wish this was written about the antagonist instead" when they finish it.

Plenty of stories use well-written antagonists to give character development to the protagonist before killing the actual antagonist.
>>
>>8096653
>Genre fiction
>Having specific protag/antag
>Caring that one is better than the other
Kill yourself
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.