[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Murakami Recomendations
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: lowmurakami_0076671sw.jpg (1 MB, 3265x2449) Image search: [Google]
lowmurakami_0076671sw.jpg
1 MB, 3265x2449
Looking for recommendations for a Murakami fan.

With few exceptions I've found myself reading only Murakami novels for the past couple years (I'm an incredibly slow reader). Now that I'm reaching the bottom of the barrel, I'm looking for other magical realism novels that can help fill the void.

I fear that I'll never find another author that moves me quite like Murakami.
>>
>>8095212
cuckholding.com
blacked.com
hotwife.com
>>
>>8095212
>murakami
>fan
This isn't the place for you friendo
>>
>>8095212
>reading non-whites

please leave immediately, cuck
>>
>tfw got memed into reading all murakami fiction and non fiction
The hardest I got memed in my life
>>
100% perfect girl is a good short story desu.

In any case, if you like Murakami, you'll love a book called "Mein Kampf".
>>
>>8095212
The Trial
Nausea
Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman
Ficciones
>>
>>8095237

Thank you.
>>
>>8095212
I feel the same. not much to be done.
>>
File: 1450387031308.jpg (29 KB, 224x300) Image search: [Google]
1450387031308.jpg
29 KB, 224x300
Not going to pretend I didn't enjoy Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World though I'll agree that once you've read one of his novels you've read them all. I sort of enjoy reading his protagonists glide through situations totally detached. It seems to me a lot of modern Asian males in capitalist consumer cultures live for their purchases and there's a chapter in Hardboiled where two thugs, whom he of course admonishes for being boorish and buying less tasteful things than he, destroy everything in his apartment while he sits numb on the couch sipping his oh-so-tasteful whiskey. After all his name-dropping (so much fucking name-dropping in his novels) I thought this was gratifying and the language he use was descriptive. He describes his shattered tv and the sparks that fly out of it like a corpse, I forget the exact words he used but it was a talented and poetic description.

Not so much a bad writer but one that has been memed to death and ultimately shallow compared to what you could otherwise be reading. Other novelists have much more aptly describe the idle comings and goings and musings of the brain in first person much more succesfully. It's hard to care, much less be interested in, after 300 pages, someone who submissively floats through life. Same could be said of a million other novels though.

My point is that you're not necessarily reading a bad book or doing yourself harm but ninety percent of his novels, to reduce it to its essence, are: dispassionate guy with divorced wife encounters surreal thing, whatever, novel ends.
>>
File: tumblr_myv1p6Hoi61qgrualo1_500.jpg (63 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_myv1p6Hoi61qgrualo1_500.jpg
63 KB, 500x375
If you're looking for magical realism Gabriel Garcia Marquez is the obvious choice. Try 100 Years of Solitude.

I'd also really recommend Donald Barthelme. Start with his short story, "Me and Miss Mandible."
>>
Why would you read any Murakami past Wind-up Bird?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.