[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Started reading this one yesterday. Really liking it so far.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: 81VEXHUdwTL.jpg (503 KB, 1400x2255) Image search: [Google]
81VEXHUdwTL.jpg
503 KB, 1400x2255
Started reading this one yesterday. Really liking it so far. What do you guys think of it / other works by Cook?
>>
>>8093705
Ive only read the next three books in that series. I liked them all, but I've heard that they eventually take a sharp dip in quality.
>>
>>8094029
I've heard the same, not going to bother reading them. Have you heard anything about his other books that aren't related to this series?
>>
>>8093705
I think the first 3 books were good, but the first one is the best.

Sorry IDK about the others. Someone recommended "Gardens of the Moon" to me after I read that but I can't understand what's going on in that book
>>
>>8094067
>"Gardens of the Moon"
I don't get this "malazan is hard to understand" meme. Are you all so unaccustomed to scenes presented out of context? Not like the trope sets they use are any different from those of standard militaristic and fantasy fiction.
I'm not saying they're all that good, mind.
>>
I found it to brim with gaudy Americanisms and lost interest midway through.
>>
I've read the series up to Glittering Stone. First three are great but it sort of becomes a generic fantasy series after that.

Other stuff by him that I've read:

Garret, PI: Read up to the 9th book. Ex-marine detective in a sort of Ankh-Morpork style city where you have tons of different fantasy races smashed together in squalor, but more serious. Good series.

Instrumentalities of the Night: Not-Fantasy Europe-Mediterranean around 1200. Cannons have just been invented and used to kill the demons of the night by a not-Seljuk soldier. He ends up going to not-Italy on a secret mission and finds out the truth about his secret past, gets involved with not-Catholic Wizards, and the not-Cathar heresy happens. I've enjoyed it a lot but apparently it didn't do too well so he might have finished it with the 4th book.

Starfishers: Disjointed set of space opera novels, first is about a mercenary general in space, second two are about his son? grandson? (I forget) doing spy stuff, fourth one is probably the best and is a largely stand-alone book about the crew of a stealth attack ship, think Das Boot style submarine fiction.

Dread Empire: Read the first three books. Generic fantasy series with wizards and demons, power struggle from the not-Chinese empire next door. I'd say read it only if you like his writing but have run out of stuff.

The Dragon Never Sleeps: Stand-alone space opera about (IIRC) ships of immortal legions that enforce peace in a space empire. OK I suppose.
>>
>>8094076
Its a meme? Guess I'm right.
>>
>>8094531
>Dread Empire
I thought it was all about fantasy not-Muhammad and the rise of not-Islam? (not to contradict you, I lost interest after a couple chapters years ago)
>>
>>8094893
I don't think so? From what I recall the first story is about a ancient wizard vs a group of lesser wizards and mercenaries because he wants to take the sister of the wizards as his wife. Then in the later two books it's several years later and he teams up with the surviving wizards and mercs to defend a kingdom against the Dread Empire (Not-China).

I think you might be thinking of El Murd, one of the mercenary characters? I think the two prequel books are about him entirely (I haven't read them), so that might be where you got that impression.
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.