[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Road
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5
Lets get a good discussion thread going. Just read this book and I can say that I'm willing to believe we are all as savage as McCarthy believes us to be.
>>
File: 1461553233301.png (22 KB, 804x743) Image search: [Google]
1461553233301.png
22 KB, 804x743
>Oprah's book club
That's too bad, I really wanted to read some of McCarthy's work.
>>
>>8091780
>Just read this book and I can say that I'm willing to believe we are all as savage as McCarthy believes us to be.
That's because you, like McCarthy, are a pleb.
>>
File: military.jpg (2 MB, 1698x1131) Image search: [Google]
military.jpg
2 MB, 1698x1131
>>8091789
>>8091799
okay
>>
File: alpha15.jpg (44 KB, 545x237) Image search: [Google]
alpha15.jpg
44 KB, 545x237
This is one of the most uplifting stories I know.
>>
Strangely, it probably was his most uplifting book and contains an insight into his worldview with the line: "there is no god and we are his prophets." Not only was this in Oprah's bookclub, the motherfucker appeared on oprah's show simply because he was asked to. Apparently this motherfucker doesn't give a fuck about being cool.
>>
>>8091780

>The Road

more like "the tarp". Seriously, the tarp is like the most important character in the book, arguably the book is in fact about the tarp, and the man and boy merely side characters.
>>
File: The psychiatrist by Pepijn Simon.jpg (926 KB, 1500x1943) Image search: [Google]
The psychiatrist by Pepijn Simon.jpg
926 KB, 1500x1943
It's the last "Great American Novel" written.

Which is really depressingly sad.
>>
>>8092719
Same here brother
>>
>>8093223
I'm not a huge Pynchon fan by any means, but Against the Day (2006) is better than anything neo-corncobbist McCarthy ever produced.
>>
>>8092911
>apparently this motherfucker doesn't care about being cool
1. He's in his 80's
2. He almost NEVER interviews, so that Oprah thing was a big deal
3. He dropped out of college twice, has worked odd jobs in mechanic shops and stuff to have more writing time
4. Moved to Spain to learn Spanish
5. Has been homeless on multiple occasions
6. While living in a barn, would reject offers from colleges that would pay him to talk about his work to the students
7. Randomly showed up at the Santa Fe scince institute just to hang out with scientists. He edits their papers.

motherfucker doesn't care about ANYTHING except science and writing.

It's cute when this board tries to trash him for his work but has no idea how knowledgeable he really is.
>>
The cannibal bit freaked me out in the movies desu.

Not sure why. Psychologically disturbing that people can still behave in a Human fashion whilst keeping their fellow man locked up/starved/etc, and randomly eating parts of them when hungry.
>>
I read it and it was boring and it was also shit.
>>
how's about Blood Meridian? I found myself to really have to slodge through it because of the way he wrote in it, but goddamn was it a fucking immensely dark book. Definitely gonna reread sooner rather than later and appreciate it all
>>
>>8093767
I thought he spent a lot of time married to wealthy women.

>>8093786
It's that "rats in a cage" feeling to me. Obviously they're all going to die anyway since they'll run out of people to eat, but they're still trying to live in the most horrible manner.
>>
>>8093767

protip: Nobody is trashing him for being ignorant
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.