[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is being on 4chan "reading?"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
File: i_have_no_will_to_live.jpg (30 KB, 450x320) Image search: [Google]
i_have_no_will_to_live.jpg
30 KB, 450x320
Is being on 4chan "reading?"
>>
>>8091288
Technically, yes. In the sense you want it to be? No.
>>
>>8091295
could you explain the differences between reading a book and reading a forum?
>>
>>8091307
One's being a lazy piece of shit
One's being a less lazy piece of shit

I'll let you figure out which one's which
>>
>>8091307
I would, but a better question makes of what use my answer is to you.
>>
>>8091288
It is both reading and writing
>>
>>8091307
forums are conversational
>>
>>8091288
same way getting a big mac with diet coke is being on a diet
>>
>>8091320
So are books
>>
>>8093140
If you talk to books, seek immediate medical treatment.
>>
>>8093145
No, the book represents a dialogue between the author and the reader.
>>
>>8093156
Nah, that's bullshit. The author can't hear your thoughts.
>>
>>8093171
it's a onesided conversation
>>
>>8093308
Then it's not a dialogue, it's a monologue.
>>
yes it's reading and writing actually. when I was a teen in the 90s people actually said the Internet saved my generation by tricking us into read and writing on the computer. we used to be mtv zombies then the Internet got us to read and instant messaging got us to write.
>>
>>8094441
Yes, but reading novels expands your worldview and vocabulary. Texting and writing on forums doesn't.
>>
>>8094441

if imageboards and forums are "reading and writing" than watching TV is appreciating fine art.

kill yourself
>>
>>8095108
>but reading novels expands your worldview
why is this a good thing
>>
>>8094361
>>8093308
>>8093171
>>8093156
I liked this exchange
>>
>>8093156
Sorry, but this statement is bullshit
>>
>>8095108
Even forums expand your worldview, because you get to know about other people lifes and thoughts. The only problem is that people here usually do not take enough time to write with dedication, so a book is deeper.
>>
>>8091288
Report, hide and sage these summerfag threads, otherwise they'll just clog up the board and 404 any good discussions
>>
>>8091288
Yeah, which is the worst part. There's some quote somewhere about cutting bad literature out of your life (magazines, newspapers, etc.) as the best way to get yourself to read good literature. It's easy to take a break from reality tv to read a good book but it's a lot harder to take a break from brainlessly reading text messages and 4chan to something of a similar format that actually requires thought
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.