[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is this book good from a literary standpoint? Don't know
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (1 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1 MB, 3264x2448
Is this book good from a literary standpoint? Don't know much about it
>>
I read it at the start of high school on my own and loved it. Take that however you please.
>>
>>8091241

George was a better essay writer than he was a storyteller and his novels even read better if you treat them as essays and not stories.
>>
>>8091241
Read it last week. I thought it was pretty good.
>>
>>8091241
No, not really. Just like all of Orwell's fiction, it suffers from poor writing and hamfisted messages. Read his nonfiction if you are looking for something of worth.
>>
>>8091265
>>8091271
Speaking of essays, what are some of the essential essays to read by Orwell? I've read about ten of his. Off the top of my head
>Why I write
>Politics and the English Language
>The Lion and the Unicorn
>A Hanging
>Shooting an Elephant
>A Nice Cup of Tea
And a few others.
I've got Down the Mine on the list
>>
It has a message, so lit fucking hates that, it's not deep with prose, that pisses them off too.

But objectively it's just an average book with a new idea for the time.
>>
Despite being a bit preachy and somewhat pretentious, Animal Farm has an engaging enough story with well defined, slightly satirical characters and only takes a couple of hours to finish. It's enough to warrant a read.
>>
It's a pretty good short story bit of history built into it. Entertainment
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.