[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I just started reading some Dostoevsky and I finished White
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2
File: datboi.jpg (77 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
datboi.jpg
77 KB, 700x700
So I just started reading some Dostoevsky and I finished White Nights, and it's got to be one of the most beta cuck tier stories I've ever read in my life. Surely his other works are much better, right?
>>
more like white knights
>>
File: 1463826443256.gif (4 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1463826443256.gif
4 MB, 320x240
Dosto's works often have contradicting world views so most of his important works are actually wildly different from each other.

But you're a meme incarnate edgelord who can't empathize with feelings of weakness, loneliness, whatever. Most of his protagonists are confused intellectuals who do things like beg for God's forgiveness from whores, so no I would not recommend any Dostoevsky to you.

Maybe go play the new Doom if you want to experience some alpha Chad feelings vicariously, in fact most of modern literature will probably turn you off.
>>
>>8084362
The excerpt from notes from the underground in american psycho made me want to read Dostoevsky, so I'm wondering if any of his novels sort of run in the same vein as that.
>>
>>8084372

Internally, the protagonist of Notes and Patrick Bateman are quite different. Patrick Bateman is a sociopath, plan and simple. He's not conscious of doing anything wrong. Every Dosto protagonist is highly conscious of what they're doing, especially in Notes, and they're paralyzed with guilt, hating themselves for being guilty, rescinding themselves an hour later, get distracted by something else, etc. They're human beings that someone of a romantic temperament but still feeling isolated or different might relate to. Raskolnikov kills a useless pawnbroker and torments himself for it, Bateman kills countless young, innocent people and it's funny to him.
>>
>>8084394
>They're human beings that someone of a romantic temperament might relate to
Is this a trend that all of his works share? Sounds like reading Dostoevsky may not be as rewarding as I thought.
>>
>>8084405

I was reading over that post regretting the word "romantic". In Notes he lays into a hooker in a three page rant but later on he thinks she's better than him. It's important lit and his characters are psychologically complex. You don't strike me as an honest observer of life and it sounds like you're the type of person who enjoys stuff like A Clockwork Orange or American Psycho mostly because it's edgy or violent or darkly funny and Dosto is all three of those but he's not out to please neo-Columbine kids such as yourself.
>>
>>8084421
lol sounds like you're a man who hates his memes. Can you recommend a novel of his to start with anyway? Give me his best one and if I like it I'll work my way down
>>
>>8084435

Best novel is Crime and Punishment IMO but you should read Notes, a two part novella, if you just want to dip your feet a little and see if you like Dosto. It has just as much impact.
>>
o shit waddup
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.