[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are the best novels that take place in an alternate history?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
What are the best novels that take place in an alternate history?
>>
>>8081662
...Shocker?
>>
>>8081672
it was what canadians felt when the usa occupied them :^)
>>
>>8081681
lol stupid canadians got rekt
>>
File: 1337230485565.jpg (71 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1337230485565.jpg
71 KB, 500x500
>>8081662
>no Israel
>>
>>8081662

I've only read three, I'll tell you about them.

Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick. Actually, I'm not sure what to tell you about this: obviously it's about an USA occupied by both Japan and Germany after a WW2 which the Allies lost; but I'm not sure what it's REALLY about.

Fatherland by Robert Harris is surprisingly good. It's set right in the heart of Nazi Germany in an alt 1960s. What's really impressive about it is the "big reveal" at the end is something the reader knew all along but is freshly surprised by through the character's points of view.

The other one I think is called Pavane, about a world dominated by the Catholic church and vaguely medieval but with steam tech. It's not that great.
>>
>>8081662
>Japan still a sovereign state
>American west coast occupied
>isolated Romanian colony not devoured by the great Russian bear

Having trouble making heads and tails of this map.

and thus I continue to not to take Latinos and especially their views of global politics seriously in the slightest.
>>
I like the one where the South African racists go back in time and give AK-47s to the Confederates.
>>
File: 1392964505919.jpg (91 KB, 689x569) Image search: [Google]
1392964505919.jpg
91 KB, 689x569
>>8081662

>alternate history world map
>always fewer countries than in real life

So lazy and unimaginative.
>>
>>8083522
Honestly if I was a white South African I would do that too. Black people ruined that country. Its not even racist mate its just self preservation.
>>
>>8081662
>United Canadian-American Empire
>Manages to lose mexico and west coast to the Chinese
yeah nah
>>
>>8083555
Its called immigration bby

The chinese already control vancouver and the bay area
>>
>>8083518
I think Japan is alongside Australia and South America. Meaning it's apart of the North Americans but it's still considered it's own thing by them. Though yea, the China parts are weird and complicate that.
>>
>>8083515
>but I'm not sure what it's REALLY about.
From what I gathered it was about fate, how people let their fate be decided by outside factors (symbolized in the I Ching), interpersonal relationships, and how they affect the course of events in the world.
>>
>>8081662
tfw this is how most americans already view the world
>>
>>8081662
>USA occupying the east coast of China
>while the USA's west coast is being occupied by China

???
>>
>>8083856
a way to have free trade zones with each other :3
>>
>>8083432
What are you talking about it's right there above south america...
>>
>>8083856
In Star Craft we call that a base swap
>>
>>8083561

>The chinese already control vancouver and the bay area

ha ha ha. J-just joking, right?
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.