[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Books about the sea
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: lenny pepe.jpg (158 KB, 813x960) Image search: [Google]
lenny pepe.jpg
158 KB, 813x960
I've recently joined the navy and was curious about any good books about the sea and sailors and stuff like that. Anything along the lines of Moby Dick, 20000 Leagues, Old Man and the Sea, stuff like that. So long as it isn't some how to book then I'm sure it'll be /lit/
>>
Life of Pi
>>
Two Years Before the Mast - Dana
>>
The Sailor Who Fell From Grace with the Sea - Mishima
>>
Master and Commander - Patrick O'Brian
>>
>>8081448
Heart of Darkness is about a river but it has the same themes of exploration and boats
>>
Lord Jim - Conrad
Redburn - Melville
We, the Drowned - Carsten Jensen
>>
>>8081622
Yeah and there's also the water, some mud too...let's see what else...there's the sun! That's right, the sun, you'll see the sun a lot on the sea. Yeah.
>>
>>8081448
Berserk
>>
Melville's "Billy Budd" is very short and a must. One of his best books, and arguably one of the best American novellas ever.

For less consistent quality, but still entertaining/easy reading, Kerouac has some stuff from his experience in Merchant Marines.
>>
If nonfiction's okay read about Shackleton's expedition, especially Endurance
>>
to the lighthouse, anon!
>>
N O S T R O M O
O
S
T
R
O
M
O
>>
V. is about a sailor, oddly Pynchon doesn't have alot of seafaring works despite also being a sailor
>>
>>8081448
Nigger of the narcissus srs
>>
>>8081448
Two years before the mast
>>
The Sea-Wolf by Jack London
Moby Dick by Herman Melville
>>
kon tiki by thor heyerdahl
farthest north by fridtjof nansen
>>
Shakespeare's comedies
>>
>>8081448
Horatio Hornblower - CS Forester
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.