[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I am trying to get into reading once again (I only read one or
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: Shadow of the Torturer.jpg (357 KB, 593x1000) Image search: [Google]
Shadow of the Torturer.jpg
357 KB, 593x1000
I am trying to get into reading once again (I only read one or two books per year) and a friend recommended me these books since I like fantasy stuff.

I was reading some reviews and many of them say that the books from this author are extremely complex and you need to focus on many small details on each one of them.

Should I consider something less complex before reading these books (I was thinking in reading the Dune series)?
>>
Read a few pages and see if you like it.
>>
>>8081203
read the dying earth books by jack vance instead
>>
>>8081203
>the books from this author are extremely complex and you need to focus on many small details on each one of them

it's not exactly true, they are neither very complex nor you need to hunt for details or allusions, but they have quite a lot of musings through the text and if you don't enjoy reading those you would better read jack vance
>>
>>8081203
The surface story is simple enough. Dude goes on a random quest. The complexity doesn't take away from how interesting the adventure is.
>>
>>8081203

It's heavy going desu. And oddly ill-written in some respects; since Gene Wolfe is obviously capable of writing clear and beautiful prose, it's probably a deliberate technique, but that doesn't make it any easier for the reader.

I actually recommend you read Book of The Long Sun first; it has a more likeable MC, a more obvious and appealing story, and is also just all round filled with COOL SHIT, while at the same time being every bit as layered and filled with allusions, omissions and puzzles, as BOTNS is.

And no you don't need to read BOTNS first to get the most out of it.
>>
>>8081203
I read it and it's awesome.

It may be complicated, in the sense that it almost seems like you would recall a dream sometimes.
And maybe that is also because there are many dreams during the book.

Go for it dude, it's really good imo
>>
>>8081203
On my 1st reread currently. Dive in anon. Then read Ficciones, then start rereading it.
>>
>>8081203
It's pretty complex, but can be read with just enjoying the prose and the dream like atmosphere.
But you should probably pick dune if you just want to get into the habit of reading.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.