[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
In all seriousness, define "good prose".
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
In all seriousness, define "good prose".
>>
The prose that is most like poetry.
>>
>>8079001

Yep
>>
>>8079001
This is actually not bad.
>>
>>8078996
Here are a few principles: http://www.hull.ac.uk/php/cetag/3igraves.htm
>>
prose that gets the job done
>>
File: CjCTHUbXEAA7O2j.jpg large.jpg (151 KB, 1024x690) Image search: [Google]
CjCTHUbXEAA7O2j.jpg large.jpg
151 KB, 1024x690
why don't you ask your spine and its tingle?
>>
Art is not a science.
>>
prose that is good
>>
>>8079098
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=no9fpKVXxCc
>>
>>8078996
Prose that appeals to the reader's tastes and sensibilities. In other words, it depends on the person.
>>8079001
Prose has its own legs to stand on.
>>
>>8079001
spot on
>>
>>8079274
>Prose that appeals to the reader's tastes and sensibilities. In other words, it depends on the person.

nope, try again. subjectivity is a spook.
>>
Pure aesthetics, that's all it is. Pretty sounding phrases that are carefully composed, and hopefully it isn't too clunky. I'm a huge fan of language, but that's all it boils down to, senpai.
>>
>>8078996
Cannot define, but as meaning comes from usage, here is some first-rate prose :
“It was a dark and stormy night; the rain fell in torrents — except at occasional intervals, when it was checked by a violent gust of wind which swept up the streets (for it is in London that our scene lies), rattling along the housetops, and fiercely agitating the scanty flame of the lamps that struggled against the darkness.”
>>
>>8078996
'Good Prose' is a codeword for White Genocide
>>
>>8079359
Why are /lit/'s retarded non sequiturs so amusing compared to other boards?
>>
>>8079001
absolutely wrong. Pottery is usually so vague that it means next to nothing
>>
>>8079001
This is the plebs definition
>>
>>8079098
Who's the qt on the left?
>>
>>8079989
Joey Logano
>>
>>8079001
Nah.

Euphony is only one part of good prose, whats also important is how well it actually conveys information an characterizes the speaker.

If you're just wanking on paper making funny sounds then everyone will call it shit and forget about it.
>>
File: based scholar.jpg (5 KB, 248x203) Image search: [Google]
based scholar.jpg
5 KB, 248x203
>>8078996
good prose must contain:
>euphony
>language skills
>vocabulary knowledge
>not pedantic
>avoid repetition in few lines space
>punctuation to accentuate the rhythm
>better short sentences
>>
>>8080053
>Not pedantic
That irony though.
>>
Definition of good prose = tinychat / 4chanlit
>>
>>8078996
It's an oxymoron, like "representative democracy" or "anarcho-capitalism"
>>
En el español la buena prosa es algo que se lee bien, se disfruta y trae con ello una buena concordancia entre la historia, las palabras y la poesía.

For plebs that doesn't know how to read the most beautiful and best language for the literature:

in spanish, good prose is something that is nice to read, enjoyable and that brings with it a good concordance between story, words and poetry.
>>
>>8079290
I hope you don't actually believe this, and I hope even more that you don't think that calling something a spook is a legitimate argument.
>>
>>8080134
Em espanhol a boa prosa é algo que se lê bem, se desfruta e traz consigo uma boa concordância entre a história, as palavras e a poesia.
Can you read this clearly?
>>
File: stein.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
stein.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>8080053
>avoid repetition in few lines space
>>
You know good prose when you see it.
>>
>>8079478
because of your bias telling you that they (the nonsequiturs) are somehow more intellectual
>>
I'd say the two key components of good prose are:

- Beautiful imagery
- Music-like rhythm

Obviously these two would require a definition too, but I think it is easier to feel imagery than it is to know it.
>>
>>8081727
yeah, you know... my engrish is not purfect
>>
>>8079993
>poetry = euphony
>>
>>8080053
Close enough
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (31 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
31 KB, 480x360
>>8079001
That's an excellent definition.

Maybe the inverse can be said for poetry.
>>
>>8081905
Thats bullshit too
>>
>>8081804
Except I regularly find /lit/ers to be too far up their own ass to be intentionally humorous and that comment was not intelligent the slightest.
Maybe that's why.
Because there appears to be a greater contrast to the juxtaposition when it's not drowned out by non-stop retardation.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.