[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you guys ever hold off on reading a book because you feel
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: 1463956267159.jpg (71 KB, 680x757) Image search: [Google]
1463956267159.jpg
71 KB, 680x757
Do you guys ever hold off on reading a book because you feel you won't be mature enough to fully appreciate it?
>>
File: UKIP platform.jpg (86 KB, 960x691) Image search: [Google]
UKIP platform.jpg
86 KB, 960x691
>>
No, I've never felt too immature to appreciate a book and nothing is stopping you from giving it a go and putting it down until you're more "matured" if you find it too difficult or whatever.
>>
op, it's ok if you read a book twice, no one's gonna laugh at you
>>
sort of

sometimes i'm hesitant to start something because i feel like it'll be way too big an effort but that sentiment almost always turns out to be retarded
>>
>implying you will ever appreciate any book on your first read
impossible. if you are afraid you won't be able to appreciate a book yet the best thing you can do is read it, so at least you have a framework of it to sit in your head for a while before you come back to it - take some time to acclimate yourself to what the book was/is actually like and dispel the expectations which are always unnecessary baggage on a first read - figure out which parts you weren't able to appreciate and question why that is, then either do appropriate research - contexts, referenced literatures - or sleep on it a few weeks days years
>>
>>8076519
No but I'll hold off on an author's later books if I have their earlier ones and haven't read them yet. Like I waited until I was done with Dubliners, Portrait of the artist, and Ulysses before reading Finnegans Wake.
>>
>>8077518
you coulda started with finnwake if you wanted to.

its actually just a fun book that anyone can enjoy provided they don't bring a bunch of assumptions to it
>>
>>8077526
I partially agree with you now that I've read it, but being familiar with Joyce before going into it makes it less daunting.
>>
>>8077536
It certainly does. It's a funny paradox really.

You have to go through the labyrinth of Ulysses in order to realise that Joyce is "having a go" in the most supreme way possible in the wake, and can therefore treat it as such
>>
All the time
>>
>>8077541
It really is hilarious to imagine him spending the better part of two decades coming up with dirty jokes like pennis in the sluts maschine.
>>
>>8076519
Lolita
>>
>>8077560
I love it
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.