[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I've finished with the Greeks, where do I go now in my pursuits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3
File: 1459224701741.jpg (1 MB, 3672x3024) Image search: [Google]
1459224701741.jpg
1 MB, 3672x3024
I've finished with the Greeks, where do I go now in my pursuits of philosophy?

Is the r/philosophy reading list reliable? Yeah, yeah, I know reddit-this and meme-that, but is it reliable though?
>>
>>8075230
>he thinks he's "finished" with the greeks
>>
https://docs.google.com/document/u/0/d/1y8_RRaZW5X3xwztjZ4p0XeRplqebYwpmuNNpaN_TkgM/pub
>>
>>8075491
This desu. You could spend a life on Plato alone.

What are your interests? You could hop straight to Descartes or Hume if you will. Maybe you'd enjoy reading some Romans, such as the Stoics or Lucretius. The Platonists are another option, as are the philosophers of Christianity.
>>
>>8075496
Thank you, this is what I was looking to get
>>
Yes, it's a great list.

Consider the average /r/philosophy poster and how you can bet they haven't read any of it, don't let the sub population mess up your perspective
>>
>>8075558
take his guidance with a grain of salt -- remember such guides are not ladders

do not be afraid of secondary literature -- a friend is a good thing to have, but be aware he is a person like you
>>
>>8075230
Skip to modern philosophy - Descartes, Hobbes, etc.

Here's a good selection: http://imgur.com/pLF9WUe
>>
>>8075551
>What are your interests?
Well, I'm still very new to this whole thing so I don't know if I'm particularly interested in a certain branch yet—hell, I don't even have a good grasp of what the branches are. I suppose, as of now, I'm just reading for knowledge for the sake of knowledge. If you're asking generally though, then I have an interest in Science, Computers and Mathematics.

>inb4 get outta here STEM
Give me time, I want to give this my best shot.
>>
>>8075624
Follow through here: >>8075496
>>
>>8075624
Here's a comprehensive guide: >>8071100
>>
>>8075496
this is a really nice guide, athough I have to say from my experience I would never label guys like Scotus Eriugena obscure mystics
>>
>>8075230
Start with the spooks
>>
>>8075888
It's actually a trainwreck of a guide that goes more and more off the rails as it goes on.
>>
File: 1457720821946.jpg (54 KB, 600x686) Image search: [Google]
1457720821946.jpg
54 KB, 600x686
>>8075562

>decide to check out /r/philosophy
>not even one mention of the Greeks
>>
>>8075230
>I've finished with the Greeks
kek no, family, just no.
>>
>>8075230
>I've finished with the Greeks

You read all 3768 pages of the complete Aristotle?
>>
>>8075984
>>8075491
I guess I should have specified that I finished with the flowchart that you guys recommended newcomers to start with. A part of me thought that was implied when I posted the picture, but I don't really know what you guys are adding. Are you saying I should stay with the Greeks? And if so, what other Greek readings?
I skimmed >>8075496
and some other Greek readings but it said they weren't required before progressing. Are you guys saying I should anyway, or are you just memeing?
>>
>>8076006
The chart includes the complete Plato and Aristotle.
>>
>>8076025
I'm assuming you're >>8076002
I didn't see your post when I made my post.
Anyway, yeah I finished. For the past year I've been reading the books, though I will admit that I got sidetracked a lot by Uni and other pasttimes so it took me far longer than I wanted it to take.
>>
>>8076049
Just keep going chronologically, a lot of moderns return to the Greeks and work on foundations laid by them, so after reading Descartes, Kant &c, you will know better how much of the Greeks you know or not, don't worry.
>>
>>8075551
>You could spend a life on Plato alone
Why would anyone do this?
Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.