[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Anyone here versed or interested in epics of Ancient India?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: Mahabharata.jpg (323 KB, 1166x1593) Image search: [Google]
Mahabharata.jpg
323 KB, 1166x1593
Anyone here versed or interested in epics of Ancient India?
>>
The Bhagavad Gita sounds pretty cool.
>>
>>8070431
Interested but never really knew how to begin
>>
>>8070431
what's that story with the guy who's lined up in a battle getting ready to fight his brother and he starts to question what he's doing and why all this is happening, how he got to the point of killing his brother, and then some deity manifests and explains that the true nature of reality is a grinding grinning bloodscream and that to fight and kill and win is what the whole damn thing is about.

what was that one again? I remember reading it years ago but I can't recall the name.
>>
>>8070465
>>8070442

I'm reading the Bhagavad Gita. It's a short and really good read. I'm buying a physical copy in Portuguese and plan to read various translations in English too. Maybe I'll gift them as I finish.

>>8070481
It's the Gita... He's getting ready to fight his kinship but hesitates. Krishna puts some vedic sense into him.
>>
>>8070431
>reading /lit/ from the poo in the loo country
>>
>>8070431
The Bhagavad Gita and the Upanishads are dope af, should be required reading for every Westerner.
>>
>>8070486

>refering to Ancient India as a country and not a civilization
>>
>>8070481
o right that's actually the bhagavad gita, arjuna and krsna
>>
I read the Ramayana and the Mahabharata. I enjoyed the Ramayana a lot.
>>
>>8070431
>tfw a hindu monk visited your school and gave you a free copy of bhagavad gita because tol many people are killing themselves due to stress
for once i am thankful for suicidal fucks for allowing me to save $10
>>
>>8070548
if you gave you the bhagavad gita it was probably a Hari Krishna.

Actually if a Hindu "monk" visited your school it most likely was a Hari Krishna. They are nutjobs, they do some good, but they are very strange and their translations tend to slip in original ideas. It's a shame the Oppenheimer never published his translations of the vedic texts he read.
>>
>>8070567
damn. what interpretation of the book would you recommend? cracking it open i see a lot of added parts which may not have been there originally
>>
>>8070548
Was it KevJumba?
>>
>>8070587
There are many, many translations of the Bhagavad Gita, but you must remember that the Bhagavad Gita is a book inside a much larger story known as the Mahabharatha. The Mahabharatha is absolutely massive, and it's usually published in volumes.

The best suggestion I can give is to visit a University bookstore and see what version professors are using to teach. Ideally, you want a translation that was written post 1944, and is not affiliated by a Hari Krishna writer (ex. Kamala Subramaniam).
>>
>>8070431
Why not contemporary Sanskrit epics?

>Śrībhārgavarāghavīyam (Sanskrit: श्रीभार्गवराघवीयम्) (2002), literally Of Paraśurāma and Rāma, is a Sanskrit epic poem (Mahākāvya) composed by Jagadguru Rambhadracharya (1950–). It consists of 2121 verses in 40 Sanskrit and Prakrit metres and is divided into 21 cantos (Sargas) of 101 verses each

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sribhargavaraghaviyam
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.