[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Does anyone read nature writing anymore? I feel like I never
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: 06matthiessen2-master675-v2[1].jpg (167 KB, 675x675) Image search: [Google]
06matthiessen2-master675-v2[1].jpg
167 KB, 675x675
Does anyone read nature writing anymore? I feel like I never hear anything about it. I really don't know that much about it except for a few people like Audubon and Matthiessen and Muir

I guess the point of the thread is to ask if there are any nature writers you really enjoy
>>
eh I only know the major transcendentalists and Rachel Carson, but I've enjoyed what I've read. Parts of Walden were obnoxious
>>
>>8063290
Nature is a spook
>>
>>8063290
Not really.

Society has become massively more urbanised over the past century, so we've lost that connection to nature which is important in nature writing (e.g. nature poetry, which used to be a huge genre of verse).

Try to write something like Tintern Abbey nowadays and it just comes off as archaic.
>>
>>8063290
that black dude on the left
>>
>>8063393
Couldn't the argument be made that this would create a larger market for nature writing? People who already live in nature don't need someone to tell them how magnificent it is, they can just look outside. Someone who lives in the city could be yearning to get even a description of the outdoors.
>>
>>8063453
Not really, because (good) writing comes out of human experience.
>>
>>8063290
The Peregrine was pretty popular around here last year.
I enjoyed Arctic Dreams as well.
Matthiessen I've read a bunch of his stuff. The Snow Leopard and The Tree Where Man Was Born were favorites
>>
>>8064048
god sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who's reading him
After seeing an article about him in the NYT shortly before his death I read Far Tortuga and got hooked. Since then I've read Men's Lives, Blue Meridian, The Cloud Forest, and In the Spirit of Crazy Horse. I've got Travels with Cranes on my bedside stand waiting to be read. I don't know what it is or how he does it but he does it so well.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.