[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do you guys go about writing a story? Do you prepare weeks
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1
File: conversation.jpg (118 KB, 600x340) Image search: [Google]
conversation.jpg
118 KB, 600x340
How do you guys go about writing a story? Do you prepare weeks before with a vast quantity of notes, outlining everything you're about to write in advance? Or do you write straight away, and develop a semblance of structure as it comes?

It occurred to me I never people this who I know like to write. I find it interesting now.
>>
never asked*
>>
I just write about a guy doing something I think is funny and then it leads to other things and now shit I've got a story.
>>
>>8061915
Fair enough, I did something similar for a little page long prose scene and my workshop liked it.
>>
>>8061909
I used to work very hard compiling research, notes and various 'outlines' of the plot for my stories. But I found it all came to nothing and I usually cut away half of it. I just write as I go now, it's more enjoyable as well.
>>
It's a tricky process. I usually start with an inspirational idea that has me go like "hey, this could be awesome!" It could be just an individual scene, a character, or a bit of dialogue.

Then I think about the setting around that idea, what kind of things are going on in the background, what makes the imagined scene happen, and where can I end the story in an effective way. What is the point, what will the reader get left with, after they've made it through. General things like that.

I don't make detailed notes or anything, because planning too much kills my interest quick. I mean, if I've already explored the setting in notes, why bother writing it anymore? It needs to feel fresh to me the whole way through.

Often the cast ends up developing a life of their own and the story turns into something drastically different from planned, but that's what makes it fun.
>>
>>8062056
I'm the same actually, it's good to know there's others developing their work like this. My only trouble is keeping the creative spark going, especially when it's a longer piece which drains all the ideas quick.
>>
>>8062059

Yeah, that can happen. My solution was simply not to force it when the spark fades. Just let it sit and start working on something else. It might take days or weeks, but eventually you get a new wave of inspiration and can continue the first piece again.

Or, it could be that you'll realize the idea wasn't that great and should just trash it. In that case, you'll also be grateful that you didn't waste too much time trying to make it work.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.