[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dealing with your own artistic limits
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3
File: 1461225258013.jpg (24 KB, 314x295) Image search: [Google]
1461225258013.jpg
24 KB, 314x295
Since Kindergarten I've been a shit artist. I've never been able to draw, I tried learning, but with no significant improvements I got frustrated and quit.

The only artistic talent I posses is in writing. I love coming up with ideas for stories with fun characters and cool worlds, but I always get discouraged when I realize that the characters in my head will always be confined to text due to my own inability to bring them to life in the way I want them to be.

How do you guys get over this feeling? I know I could meet an illustrator but then it feels like the vision isn't entirely my own. The only talent I have is via a dead media.
>>
>The only artistic talent I posses is in writing.

Sorry to be le bearer of bad news m8
>>
>>8059240
>shia.jpg
Git gud. Read and write, learn to compose appealing sentences. Self-pity will kill you as an artist.
>>
>>8059240
I received the alphabet training = the only artistic talent I posses is in writing
>>
You're a miserable person and you should die. I hope you die today or tomorrow and I hope your family dies soon too.
>>
Go work to the factory. Make something useful once in your life.
>>
Art is a bluepill. As Tolstoy said
>The volume of art produced provides "the amusement which turns these people's eyes from the meaninglessness of their lives and saves them from the boredom that oppresses them", it enables them "to go on living without noticing the meaninglessness and cruelty of their life"
>>
>>8059261
“You had to lose your illusions while still holding onto some sense of possibilities. But more so, your illusions of adult life and a life without limitations. Which, I think, everyone dreams of and imagines at some point. The song that needs to be sung is one about how to deal with those things and move onto a creative life, a spiritual life, a satisfying life and a life where you can get through the day and sleep at night. That is what most of those songs were about.”
>>
become a screenwriter if you want to see your characters come to life
>>
There is no pure expression of creativity, the ceiling for what you can make will always be your technical skill in whatever medium you're working.
In both writing and drawing, you don't 'learn' the skill, you develop it. No matter how many books you read on how to draw/write, you'll always be shit unless you put effort and time to improve.
When people tell you to practice or that to make one good thing you need to make a thousand bad things first they don't mean you to draw/write with one hand while looking away and yawning, they mean you to try your best a thousand times and persist despite it being shit.
If you give up the moment you find you're not good at something you'll never be good at anything.
>>
>>8059293
That doesn't have much to do with op's problem.

>>8059317
But then the characters are in the actor's hands.

>>8059240
Your characters will always be confined. To text or to the visual or something else. Basically, >>8059364 is correct. Now go read some Tolstoy and write some garbage.
>>
File: 5.png (141 KB, 311x226) Image search: [Google]
5.png
141 KB, 311x226
>>8059364
>In both writing and drawing, you don't 'learn' the skill, you develop it. No matter how many books you read on how to draw/write, you'll always be shit unless you put effort and time to improve.
>When people tell you to practice or that to make one good thing you need to make a thousand bad things first they don't mean you to draw/write with one hand while looking away and yawning, they mean you to try your best a thousand times and persist despite it being shit.
>If you give up the moment you find you're not good at something you'll never be good at anything.
This guy has it right.
I've scrapped 60,000 words before. Growing hurts.

I've had to go through learning to balance painstakingly-detailed realism with commercially viable pace, I've had to learn how to world build not on the basis of what I think is interesting alone, but on the basis of what the audience is likely to find interesting, as well. I've had to learn how to juggle high-brow ambition with low-brow carefree ease.

I've had to learn how to have style at the right time, and in the right place, and to not confuse/overwhelm readers with self-indulgent "innovations" that take them out of the text.
>>
>>8059240
Babby's first différance?
>>
File: kazuma.jpg (65 KB, 500x314) Image search: [Google]
kazuma.jpg
65 KB, 500x314
>>8059240
>I've never been able to draw, I tried learning, but with no significant improvements I got frustrated and quit.

Let me guess, you dabbled a bit for a month and then gave up?
I started drawing 3 years ago; I'm barely starting to get gud.

Cultivating a skill takes time, and you're gonna have to power through hours, days, weeks and even months of frustration.

Stop being a babby.
>>
>>8059309
Who are you quoting?
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.