[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
WW2 Books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 8
Opening this thread with a random question but will be bumping with the best fucking books that depict WW2, from both a subjective (first-person-touchy-feely type shit) and objective (historically accurate, Eva-Braun-fucking-Hitler's-Dog type shit.

Saw some motherfucker that must have been 45 years old unironically reading the Diary of Jew Frank today at my local sniper sp- I mean book depository.

Is there anything to be gained from reading it besides mild entertainment and laughing at some 13 year old talking about her cunt and stuff? Is The Endless Steppe 10x better?

I googled the shit out of it but most of what I'm getting isn't good or bad, hoping some of you cun- i mean /lit/bots (whatever) can red pill me on this.
>>
File: images.jpg (115 KB, 713x1080) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
115 KB, 713x1080
First one's gotta go to Band of Brothers, cuz I'm a sucker for the TV show and get a hard-on reading the books.

Images and text descriptions (minus my dumbass drunk rambling and opinions) are straight from google, but I'm only posting the books I've read and know, except for the Diary of Jew Frank, cuz like that's kind of why I started the thread

(tl;dr: someone be my friend for the next four hours to talk about books while I drink away my sorrows and wish I was born in 1920)

"As good a rifle company as any in the world, Easy Company, 506th Airborne Division, U.S. Army, kept getting the tough assignements - responsible for everything from parachuting into France early D-Day morning to the capture of Hitler's Eagle's Nest at Berchtesgaden. In Band of Brothers, Ambrose tells of the men in this brave unit who fought, went hungry, froze, and died, a company that took 150 percent casualties and considered the Purple Heart a badge of office. Drawing on hours of interviews with survivors as well as the soldiers' journals and letters, Stephen Ambrose recounts the stories, often in the men's own words, of these American heroes."
>>
Gonna space the next few posts out unless someone tells me they're lurking or posts, I don't want to be raping the front page.

This next one is another classic but holy fuck is it a chore to get through, even though it will rip away most of the myths (and bullshit legends and accomplishments) that popular culture has implanted into the mind of our oh-so-impregnable youth.

The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich: A History of Nazi Germany is a non-fiction book by William L. Shirer chronicling the rise and fall of Nazi Germany from the birth of Adolf Hitler in 1889 to the end of World War II in 1945
>>
File: images.jpg (80 KB, 810x1080) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
80 KB, 810x1080
>>8057074
Fucking forgot the damn photo. Whatever. Here.
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 172x294) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 172x294
One last one cuz this is one of my favs, the first two were kind of obvious, from here it gets harder to tell what's good and what's great.

"The Destruction of Dresden is a 1963 book by David Irving, in which he describes the February 1945 Allied bombing of Dresden in World War II."

That's such a plain description. Really leaves out the part about how vivid the author is when he describes in pants-shittingly-accurate detail what it's to live in a city that's being firebombed with no escape. He wasn't there, but he did his research, and in just three raids, 125,000 citizens of Dresden were ash in the wind (literally)
>>
File: KTbA_i9Y53YC.jpg (42 KB, 300x456) Image search: [Google]
KTbA_i9Y53YC.jpg
42 KB, 300x456
Okay I lied, THIS is the last one I'll post before waiting either for a bump or a more active time.

I should have put this in front of The Destruction of Dresden.

Read this, I couldn't have said it better myself, especially if you are into Japanese culture, WW2, aviation, and books.

It's like a hole in one, except the hole is a pussy and your dick is actually entering it. That's what it's like to read this book. No hentai, sorry guys.

Akira Yoshimura originally wrote Zero Fighter for the Japanese market, which is actually an interesting perspective for North American audiences to experience. For example, we are generally not aware of the success of the Zero fighter or of its significance in Japanese minds. Both the superiority of the aircraft in the early stages of the Pacific War and the great stature of Jiro Horikoshi as an aircraft designer (he is to Japan what the designer of the Spitfire is to the U.K.) will come as a revelation to most readers here. Also completely unknown to most North American readers is the story of the transport section at the Nagoya Aircraft Works. This information is woven nicely into the book, and has a great deal to say about the startling quality of Japanese wartime industry: rigid in many ways, while producing a plane of brilliant originality. The book is a moving picture of the patience of the Japanese in the face of adversity, but perhaps most important, Zero Fighter is Japanese. It is not often that a Japanese book is encountered here that divulges intimate knowledge about such a fascinating subject. There is significant value in this as we enter an era in which the Japanese and American people must share and respect the other's cultural point of view.
>>
File: 61OUHN2huwL._SL300_.jpg (27 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
61OUHN2huwL._SL300_.jpg
27 KB, 300x300
God dammit one more. THIS MOTHERFUCKER BOOK RIGHT HERE BITCHES. IT'S LIKE BAND OF BROTHERS BUT FROM ITALY TO DACHAU. CRAZY ASS MOTHERFUCKERS, READ THIS BOOK AND PREPARE TO SHIT DICKS.

The true story of the bloodiest and most dramatic march to victory of the Second World War: the battlefield odyssey of a maverick U.S. Army officer and his infantry unit as they fought for over five hundred days to liberate Europe - from the invasion of Italy to the gates of Dachau.
From July 10, 1943, the date of the Allied landing in Sicily, to May 8, 1945, when victory in Europe was declared - the entire time it took to liberate Europe - no regiment saw more action, and no single platoon, company, or battalion endured worse, than the ones commanded by Felix Sparks, who had entered the war as a greenhorn second lieutenant of the 157th "Eager for Duty" Infantry Regiment of the 45th "Thunderbird" Division. Sparks and his fellow Thunderbirds fought longest and hardest to defeat Hitler, often against his most fanatical troops, when the odds on the battlefield were even and the fortunes of the Allies hung in the balance - and when the difference between defeat and victory was a matter of character, not tactics or armor.
>>
Richard J Evans Trilogy for a better General history

Victor Klempner diaries/Studies for everyday life during the War

BH Liddell Hart for Historical/Military aspects
>>
Mihail R. Sturdza, 'The Suicide of Europe', memoirs of Prince Michel Sturdza, former Foreign Minister of Rumania
>>
File: 51c1Lf1dfBL._SL1500_.jpg (54 KB, 333x500) Image search: [Google]
51c1Lf1dfBL._SL1500_.jpg
54 KB, 333x500
>>
>Since the end of World War II, the destruction of Dresden often has been cited as the most dreadful example of civilian-targeted firebombing, but this book amply demonstrates that several ""Dresdens'' were perpetrated against Japan even before the atomic strikes on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.
>...More people died that night from napalm bombs than in the atomic strikes on Hiroshima and Nagasaki. But few in the United States are aware that the attack even took place.
>>
>>8057077
>Book about Nazis
>Writer's name is "Shirer"

oy vey
No thanks
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.