[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's your favorite postmodern novel? Are there very many
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (148 KB, 637x996) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
148 KB, 637x996
What's your favorite postmodern novel? Are there very many good non-american ones?
>>
Larva. Generally post modernism is trash. Don't bother with it.
>>
>>8051280
fuck you, mom
>>
I have a weird fondness for Vineland. The Beetle Leg is also very good. Gravity's Rainbow is a little bit falsely hailed as a sort of be-all and end-all masterpiece of PoMo lit. It's incredible, but still so.

Brits don't seem to take to it for some reason. They prefer much more well-crafted work than we do at the behest of any kind of more experimental aesthetic quality. I understand that Borges is a postmodernist, but I only ever read original lit in English so I wouldn't know. Others probably will.
>>
>>8051285
Yeah Vineland is alright. I like it more than Inherent Vice, and was disappointed when I learned he had originally wanted to adapt Vineland. Also did you catch the twist where everyone but the Asian guy and that ninja chick is probably dead at some point? I'm pretty confident this is the case but I would have to revisit the novel to back it up with more evidence from earlier on.

I'm mostly looking to read foriegn novels wth these techniques other than Italo Calvino and wanted to post that image. I have Hopscotch already but haven't read it. I can see the argument for Borges but I have always thought his writing had a more solidly "surreal" aspect to it than exactly what I'm looking for.

Can we call Don Quixote postmodern for argument's sakes :^)
>>
>>8051492
I never quite understood what was the deal with the Thanatoids

>Can we call Don Quixote postmodern for argument's sakes :^)
Don't think something could be called post-modernist if there still wasn't modernism to post-
>>
>>8051517
>Postmodern literature, like postmodernism as a whole, tends to resist definition or classification as a "movement". Indeed, the convergence of postmodern literature with various modes of critical theory, particularly reader-response and deconstructionist approaches, and the subversions of the implicit contract between author, text and reader by which its works are often characterised, have led to pre-modern fictions such as Cervantes' Don Quixote (1605,1615) and Laurence Sterne's eighteenth-century satire Tristram Shandy being retrospectively considered by some as early examples of postmodern literature.

It's been a little while since I read Vineland but imho the two characters I mentioned depart the family and the cop after finale and feel satisfied and like their mission was complete because they vowed to help restless souls and they managed to give them solace. I'm semi-confident that if I re-read it I could pull scenes further backing this up but perhaps I'm just full of shit.
>>
>>8051492
>>8051560
Not sure about this theory.
My main question would be why
>>
>>8051572
I don't know "why" the extra day is inserted into Inherent Vice, do you?
>>
>>8051274
Mason & Dixon
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.