[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is 'start with the Greeks' just a meme? What the fuck
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: 8.jpg (974 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
8.jpg
974 KB, 1920x1080
Is 'start with the Greeks' just a meme? What the fuck can I hope to learn from the ideas of a defunct state that is literally older than Christ? I mean, if they're really as important as you folks claim them to be, I've already internalized the most useful parts of their philosophies from other thinkers, no?
>>
If that's your attitude, angry lil anon, I suggest you forget Greek philosophy. Start instead with Greek literature, and come back to us when you've read some of that
>>
>>8049999

familiarize oneself with the French.

also sick quads
>>
>>8049999
Start with "Zorba the Greek" and work backwards.
>>
The Greeks are not a meme.
>>
File: 1451540729844.png (1 MB, 856x894) Image search: [Google]
1451540729844.png
1 MB, 856x894
>>8049999
>9999
>>
>a state
Do you know literally anything about ancient Greek history?
>defunct
What
>literally older than Christ
Is this criticism?
>I've already internalized the most useful parts of their philosophies from other thinkers, no?
No

kys to be honest with you f@m
>>
>>8050047
This is a transparent bait thread bro
>>
>>8050047
epic
>>
I'm reading Ovid's Metamorphoses now, it's very enjoyable. The Greeks are a quality meme.
>>
If the Greeks were so smart how did they still believed in oracles and gods? Checkmate Philosofags.
>>
>>8049999
Greeks were brilliant thinkers! They are the base of Western civilization. A lot of Mathematical axioms were found through their schools, Pythagoras being the most popular. Then you have Aristotle and them boys. It's easy to observe its influence in modern works. Hercules and the Gods of Olympia.
>>
I honestly think the reason why this is so heavily advertised on here is because this is a predominantly American board and I assume a basic exposure to Greek culture and myths isn't part of the American general education. So it's something you need to catch up on yourself to get all those references in literature made by people who didn't put any effort into studying the Greeks because it was part of their general education. See also myths of the bible.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.