[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Been reading Junger's Der Waldgang (Passage in the Forest),
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1
File: IMG-20160501-WA0019.jpg (931 KB, 2336x4160) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160501-WA0019.jpg
931 KB, 2336x4160
Been reading Junger's Der Waldgang (Passage in the Forest), and it's incredibly interesting. He's building a very fascinating narrative of freedom, especially of its birth in utter useleessness. Wasn't expecting to like his essays as much. Any recs on his other stuff, or generally short-ish essays on politics?

I'd add Didion's Miami (even if it's more of a reportage) and Baudrillard's Origin of Terrorism (or something like that), maybe Mass and Power by Elias Canetti but I haven't read it all.
>>
>>8049299
Haven't read too much Ernst besides storm of steel. I know he has other essays like "on pain," which is part of the new translations like the one you just read.

Check on amazon and goodreads for reviews.
>>
>>8049299
Check out Ernst's brother Friedrich's "The Failure of Technology"

http://www.ernst-juenger.org/2012/11/fg-jungers-failure-of-technology-as.html
>>
Countercurrents has two of the short writings o their site, "Sicilian Letter to the Man on the Moon" which is beautiful, as well as "The Retreat into the Forest"

On the Marble Cliffs is his classic novella, about the totalitarianism of the Nazis and Communism.
>>
Ernst Junger is a psychopath with decent literary talent, but it is the absolute void that is his soul that makes him interesting. Inadvertently, of course, Storm of Steel would have been a hilarious read were it not for morbid backdrop.

>Last night, a mortar fell near Horst as he was frolicking on the crapper
>Had to put the whole squad on latrine duty and even then it was past midnight when I found his bellybutton in the stubborn goo puddle
>Tired after hard evening's work we made some excellent tea and then I went out to take a walk in the gloaming, thinking about the Kaiser and our glorious Reich may it stand for a thousand years.
>>
>>8049438
>4shared

now that is a failure of technology
>>
>specially of its birth in utter uselessness

What do you mean?
>>
>>8049420
>>8049438
>>8049452
Will consider the titles you reccd, thanks fellas.

>>8049460
The essay I'm reading doesn't really feel that soulless, honestly. I mean, it's not as hearthfelt as say, Fear and Trembling, but I'm not seeing what you mean. Maybe it's more of a Storm of Steel exclusive thing?

>>8049473
Well, I now think I was under a slight misunderstanding - rather, I think he's making a case for freedom to be something innately human that truly becomes apparent to an Individual's mind when in a situation where his freedoom is "inhibited" (he talks about the voting process in a dictatorship); he then understands how choosing between two extremes isn't freedom but a sociopolitical degeneration of it, a simulacrum, and true freedom lies in his possibility of cutting himself from society, retreating in the intellectual and physical of his own self.
>>
>>8049492
Got a link to Junger's work in english other than SoS?

Anyway, read Babchenko's One Soldier's War in Chechnya.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.