[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Misanthropic Books
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4
File: americanpsychobook.jpg (24 KB, 256x392) Image search: [Google]
americanpsychobook.jpg
24 KB, 256x392
Can /lit/ recommend me some more books like this? With a cynical and misanthropic main character who you can sorta sympathize with?
>>
>>8045068
bump
>>
OP here, I'd like to add that these characters should be funny, nihilistic with a wicked sense of humour.
>>
>>8045068
Journey to the End of the Night
>>
>>8045068
Notes from the underground.
>>
Pale Fire
>>
>>8045119
>recommending a Doors song
Jim Morrison isn't misanthropic at all
>>
>>8045264
Oh boy
>>
Filth by Irvine Welsh. Really funny as well. Its about a psychopathic, misanthropic cop who basically fucks everybody's life up through manipulation, sex, and abuse. If you can get past the dialect, which is quite toned down for a Welsh novel, then you will surely enjoy it.

also really sad.
>>
>>8045068
Do you guys think American Psycho was good?
>>
>>8045068
my diary
>>
>>8045351
Seen the movie, if the book is even half as good, it's gonna be great
>>
Why is the hardcover so fucking expensive? Why is maintaining a cracked-spine-free zone such a monumental feat?
>>
Americana by DeLillo almost feels like a prequel to American Psycho
>>
>>8045068
All of Ellis's books are canon to each other and they all feature shitheads as the protagonists.
>>
The Demon - Hubert Selby
Seven Days of Peter Crumb - Jonny Glynn
Wasp Factory - Iain Banks
The Man Who Watched Trains Go By - Georges Simenon
Sheepshagger - Niall Griffiths
Child Of God - Cormac McCarthy
>>
Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk
Maribou Stork Nightmares by Irvine Welsh
>>
Crime and punishment - Dostoievsky
The Perfume - Patrick Suskind
>>
>>8045107
Kek, this guy isn't even OP. But w/e i guess
>>
>>8045665
Kek
>>
>>8045922
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
>>
>>8045068
The Outsider - HP Lovecraft
The Life Of A Stupid Man - Rynosuke Akutagawa
Notes From Underground - Dostoyevsky (but the narrator is also somewhat unsympathetic)
>>
>>8046301
> Rynosuke Akutagawa
That reminds me...
In the Miso Soup by Ryū Murakami could also be said to be a part of this genre
>>
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn
>>
So what's the skinny on American Psycho? I read it and took Bateman's murders and other actions literally but online people seem to think that it was all a figment of his imagination.

Is that true? Just how much was imagined? Also what was 'This is not an exit' all about at the end?
>>
Eye Scream by Henry Rollins.
>>
File: The_Tunnel(pic).jpg (26 KB, 220x335) Image search: [Google]
The_Tunnel(pic).jpg
26 KB, 220x335
>>
File: The Dwarf.jpg (92 KB, 500x750) Image search: [Google]
The Dwarf.jpg
92 KB, 500x750
>>8045068
>>
>>8045119

This
>>
>>8045068

Notes from the Underground
Against Nature
No Longer Human
anything by Nietzsche
>>
File: o-HOUELLEBECQ-AUBERT-facebook.jpg (141 KB, 2000x1000) Image search: [Google]
o-HOUELLEBECQ-AUBERT-facebook.jpg
141 KB, 2000x1000
Almost anything by Houellebecq.
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.