[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can you convince me that it is an ethical thing to do to study
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1
File: 1395259959863.jpg (6 KB, 222x227) Image search: [Google]
1395259959863.jpg
6 KB, 222x227
Can you convince me that it is an ethical thing to do to study continental philosophy? When there is so much suffering in the world, couldn't you be doing something that would have more of a positive effect on the world? What kind of an effect on the world do you think continental philosophy has? Do you think that, despite being basically irrelevant today, it will become relevant in the future? If you see continental philosophy as not irrelevant, could you explain how you think it affects the world?
>>
poststructuralism is good and has roots in continental philosophy
>>
If the worlds suffering moves you, then what do you intend to do about it?

Personally, I'm with Callicles when he says that young men should be men of the polis and not spend too much time on philosophy and immaterial metaphysics.

BUT if your goal really is a just world for all then yes, do continental and skip analytic. If analytic philosophy moves you more then just skip it and get a science degree. It's the same thing basically.
>>
>>8044288

>Can you convince me that it is an ethical thing to do to study continental philosophy? When there is so much suffering in the world, couldn't you be doing something that would have more of a positive effect on the world?

says the guy starting threads on 4chan
>>
>ethics
simpering malicious arrogance masquerading as reciprocative mutualism

smarm, if you like
>>
>>8044288
I agree you should be studying Analytic Philosophy so that you can determine what exactly constitutes suffering.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.