[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Prachet Overated?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (267 KB, 2197x1463) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
267 KB, 2197x1463
Hey, I've been traveling a lot recently and brought along a few Discworld novels to read b/c Prachet was apperently a comedy genius.

They're...ok? I mean to read on a plane or as a two minute distraction or something.
The jokes are honestly rare* and repetitive to a degree I initially couldn't believe. Story-wise it's hard to ever feel tense. The relative strengths of all the characters are so incredibly arbitrary it's always possible for an old lady to beat a dragon to death with her handbag b/c 'lolololololo WORLD OF COMEDY' and of course in that book the dragon gets literally farted into submission for no adequately explained reason.

I mean the man wrote basically a book a month. It's shocking they're as coherent as they are. Am I just not British enough to appreciate the humor?

> inb4 100 responses of pure hatred
This is an honest question. I wanna know if I'm missing something or is my taste in comedy just really bad or what.
* not counting words being mispronounced
>>
>>8040854
give examples of comedic literature you hold in greater esteem than pratchett's work
>>
>>8040854
Eh did you get this place confused with reddit? No one here likes this drivel
>>
> inb4 100 responses of pure hatred

pshaw

nobody gives a shit about genre fiction, proceed to the contamination thread for it
>>
>>8040860
Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy
Even the last books were better then I found Pratchet
>>
Pratchett isn't very good, no. But let's have a look at your post...
>am I just not le British enough Old Chap ;)) ))) ''
>weak and pointless exaggeration on writing speed
>complaints about fucking power levels
Never come back, you horrid pleb
>>
>>8040854
they're okay as fodder, I listened to all of them when I worked in a factory, but they're not of the highest quality. Some are quite good, I'm fond of lords and ladies, but really the humour is of middling quality and it's just a prop to an occasionally decent postmodern hero narrative.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.