[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /lit/, pic unrelated so I'm reflecting on some pas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: 8b.jpg (126 KB, 691x507) Image search: [Google]
8b.jpg
126 KB, 691x507
Hey /lit/, pic unrelated

so I'm reflecting on some past fiction I've absorbed through various mediums...

Okay, I'll be honest. I just rewatched this clip from Metal Gear Solid 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iC9xpDSXyI

While the game is a stealth/espionage game, this speech by the antagonistic, all-powerful AI reveals that every event was put into motion by them simply to become more effective at controlling data and by extension, human thought.

basically, the game is built around the question: "How much of a human being is defined by information?"

The previous game deals with the question: "How much of a human being is defined by the genes?"

Obviously these are extremely difficult and deep questions to answer, and I am positive that the creator, Hideo Kojima, built games around them as a means of making people (read: young men) think about philosophy.

So, sorry to ramble, but my question is this:

What do you call a work of fiction that asks heavy philosophical questions which humanity might never know the answer to?

It's a dramatic subject, but I think referring to it as "drama" really cheapens the whole thing. In my mind, a "drama" refers to a story that focuses on interpersonal relationships.

So, what the hell do you call these works of fiction? Am I having a total brain fart right now?

The shortest term I can come up with is "philosophical epic".

Please tell me one of you has something better than that.
>>
...should I ask /pol/ instead?
>>
>>8040076
>What do you call a work of fiction that asks heavy philosophical questions which humanity might never know the answer to?

Literature.
>>
>>8040121
Not all literature does this.

You would paint this type of fiction with same brush you use to paint comedies and low drama?
>>
>>8040076
Science fiction.
>>
>>8040147
can't stories examine these concepts without a focus on technology, though?

They might have a big focus on the spiritual or super natural... so, fantasy, I guess.

also, to me, a story without heavy use of technology is not science fiction, but a story with HEAVY use of technology can also end up not being science fiction

Star Wars takes place in space and has lasers, but I wouldn't call that science fiction, it's a space opera fantasy with philosophical implications (what a mouthful)
>>
>>8040158
to add, I'm looking for an umbrella term that stories of fantasy and science fiction both fall under when they pose their audience a heavy philosophical question.
>>
>>8040158
>can't stories examine these concepts without a focus on technology, though?
Science fiction has nothing to do with "technology", pleb.

>also, to me, a story without heavy use of technology is not science fiction,
That's because you're an ignorant moron.

>Star Wars takes place in space and has lasers, but I wouldn't call that science fiction, it's a space opera fantasy
Yaay, you got one right...

>with philosophical implications (what a mouthful)
...oops, no - not quite!
>>
>>8040165
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_fiction
>>
>>8040167
Kek-rekt.
>>
>>8040167
>>8040167
>Science fiction has nothing to do with technology

You're going to say that without attempting to define it yourself?

I can't tell if you're an idiot, or a pussy. Probably both.

I'm fine with being wrong, if it can be proven.

>ignorant moron

that would be someone who says bullshit without providing reason or context....

i.e. you, faggot
>>
>>8040171
>>8040167

samefag
>>
>>8040170
well... okay! I guess I was overthinking this whole thing
>>
>>8040167

>with philosophical implications (what a mouthful)
>...oops, no - not quite!

are you retarded? it focuses on the simplest philosophical concept there is:

The nature of Good vs the nature of Evil

it doesn't handle it so amazingly, but the debate is definitely the most important part of Star Wars

you fucking dumbass nerf-herder
>>
Does this kid even know what books are?
>>
Kojima had nothing to do with the writing of the first 3 games, that was all Tomokazu Fukushima. Also go read a book, loser
>>
>>8040076
>What do you call a work of fiction that asks heavy philosophical questions which humanity might never know the answer to?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philosophical_fiction

I mean google is your friend, unless you just don't want the La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo to spot you.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.