[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What do you think of Asimov's foundation series? Does it hold up?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: foundation.jpg (1 MB, 987x1600) Image search: [Google]
foundation.jpg
1 MB, 987x1600
What do you think of Asimov's foundation series? Does it hold up?
>>
>>8038365
Couldn't even get through the first book. Conceptually interesting, found the writing boring as fuck
>>
File: asdf.png (191 KB, 579x396) Image search: [Google]
asdf.png
191 KB, 579x396
>>8038365
Only read Foundation, (the first published one), and loved it. I'll be sure to read some of the others soon.

Pic unrelated.
>>
File: 2001-anime.png (202 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
2001-anime.png
202 KB, 600x600
>>8038365
Some of the later ones are pretty bad. Still better than most writers from the genre, but Asimov never attempted to transcend the genre, like Lem did and in some cases the Strugatzkijs did as well.
>>
>>8040106
So much this. For some reason english sci-fi never have good prose
>>
I read the trilogy after not reading anything since high school. It sparked a new interest in science fiction for me and inspired me to write a book along with Planet Caravan from Black Sabbath as inspiration
>>
Im towards the beginning of the second one. Agreed that the writing style is boring (having jumped into the first one after Brothers Karamazov), but the story/plot is interesting, and Asimov is pretty good at "putting you there" with character mannerisms/etc.
>>
>>8040135
Neither does Horror. Maybe thats why Stephen King is so famous... because the others are so crappy (there are exceptions).
>>
>>8038365
Only read the trilogy and it's great. You read them looking for science fiction and science fiction is what you got.
>>
Asimov has terrible prose and dialogue, but it was still an entertaining read.
>>
Only read the trilogy, the rest of them are really mediocre.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.