[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hi /lit/, was wondering if you could help me out. Im looking
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: image.jpg (161 KB, 1170x923) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161 KB, 1170x923
Hi /lit/, was wondering if you could help me out. Im looking for books that have that vague quality of dream and mystery, where something always feels a little off and strange. I guess Kafkaesque is a term that applies although I don't much like it. Examples of books I like that have the quality I'm looking for are Paul Auster's New York Trilogy, Kobo Abe's Woman of the Dunes, Kafka obviously, and Beckett. Any help would be greatly appreciated
>>
Philip K. Dick
>>
>>8034843
Murakami's Kafka on the Shore is, as one would expect, Kafkaesque (I also dislike using the word)

Also Camus' The Stranger. It was written after Camus was studying Kafka and is influenced heavily by his work.
>>
Catcher in the Rye felt pretty dreamy to me
>>
>>8034843
Kafka's writings are very much undreamlike, they might have a sense of sensible ungraspability but amidst that is a stringent coherency that is antithetical to dreams
>>
>>8034920
They're dreamlike in the sense that they run a line of logic adjacent to but divergent from reality. Stop being such a tryhard
>>
>>8034877
This. Recommendations for that dreamy feel:

The Galactic Pot Healer
Ubik
The Divine Invasion
Maze of Death
The Game Players of Titan
>>
>>8035035
Except I don't believe that's what dreams are, in dreams there is no line of logic, it's a chaotic mess of seeming incoherent experience points that in retrospect seem to speak a narrative. It's important because I'm saying OP is not actually looking for something like Kafka
>>
>>8034843
Not really a book but ( loosely) based on one

Satyricon by Federico fellini

Probably my favorite movie and similar to what you are looking for ( in a visual medium ofc)
>>
1Q84 fa sho
>>
The dream cycle by lovecraft.

or

just read more by the authors you mentioned.
>>
>>8035084
In the dream everything seems logical for the dreamer, even then when it obviously isn´t. Thats what often happens in Kafka´s work
>>
>>8036443
It isn't though, in Kafka's works the protagonist is constantly confused, at most there's others around him who claim to know whats going on but even they're suspect often.
>>
>>8034843
the wind in the willows
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.