[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How do I into Schopenhauer? Start with The World as Will and
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
File: 1463105562746.jpg (16 KB, 223x226) Image search: [Google]
1463105562746.jpg
16 KB, 223x226
How do I into Schopenhauer? Start with The World as Will and Representation? If so, which translation?
inb4 start with the Greeks.
>>
>>8031611
Start with Kant's Prolegomena.
>>
start with the Greeks
>>
File: image.jpg (9 KB, 129x200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9 KB, 129x200
This translation is good but you have to buy each volume separate (two total).
>>
Kant, On the Fourfold Root of the Principle of Sufficient Reason.

Schopenhauer's essays are lovely.
>>
All you need to know:

Schopenhauer was a monarchist, hated the Jewish religion, thought women as inferior to women, viewed love as high importance, had a concern for the welfare of animals, called the Upanishads "the production of the highest human wisdom"--was influenced by the Upanishads, Immanuel Kant, and Plato--was a Buddhist, critiqued Kant and Hegel, believed personality and intellect were inherited, he considered his views incompatible with theism, believed in determinism, thought capital punishment as "absolutely necessary," believed that people are incapable of improving in regard to their morals, believed only compassion can drive moral acts, believed that humans were motivated by only their own basic desires, "Man can indeed do what he wants, but he cannot will what he wants," believed human desire and craving caused suffering and a temporary way to relieve that pain is through aesthetic contemplation.
>>
>>8031611

no women. either ascetic or a life led in a 'DISINTERESTED PURSUIT OF BEAUTY' aka art and only art.
>>
>>8031750
This seems to be a novel interpretation of the idea of Schopenhauer for Idiots whereby it's a how to of how to remain an idiot while trying to educate about Schopenhauer.

7.3/10, you gained points at
>women as inferior to women
but lost some for not saying everything is electricity anyway
>>
>>8031611
Plato and Kant? Read some intro books if you don't want to do the real prerequisite stuff. Magee has one that is probably good.

Ignore the buddhist meme stuff. Totally irrelevant, he didn't read the upanishads until well well after WWR.
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.