[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
John Macquarrie and Edward Robinson or Joan Stambaugh?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4
File: 41tHACwkLWL.jpg (28 KB, 335x500) Image search: [Google]
41tHACwkLWL.jpg
28 KB, 335x500
John Macquarrie and Edward Robinson or Joan Stambaugh?
>>
ima guess macquarrie
>>
>>8028935
OMG do really people read philosphy in English? What a joke
>>
>>8028935
I have the first, but one needs at least a novice understanding of Plato, Aristotle, and Nietzsche to understand Heidegger, and that requires knowing Greek and German..
>>
File: Heidi.jpg (140 KB, 627x960) Image search: [Google]
Heidi.jpg
140 KB, 627x960
Depends what kind of reader you are. If you find philosophy hard, go with the Stambaugh first and the Macquarrie and Robinson, if you are decent'y versed in how to deal with a translation, do the reverse, and only use Stambaugh for interest/contrast's sake.

In any case you're going to want to make your own edits, crossing out their word and putting in your own.
>>
>>8029326
You don't absolutely NEED to speak both languages, but you will be severly hindered in your reading if you don't at least a conversational level of German, and have been doing philosophy long enough to have picked up a lot of Greek words.

I speak both, but am a native English speaker.
>>
File: Heidegger 04.jpg (50 KB, 450x664) Image search: [Google]
Heidegger 04.jpg
50 KB, 450x664
>>8028935
For reading the Robinson, there are a few things to keep in mind. The first is that any translated word is going to be inferior to the German, and getting in the habit of thinking of the German word whenever you come across a special term is always helpful as Heidegger likes to play a lot Etymological games.

Also, cross out 'the "they"' whenever you see it and almost always put 'the 'one"', or even better das Man.

The only term that comes to mind that might be better in the Stambaugh is befindlichkeit translated as attunement. I find this still to breezy and still misses the "how one 'finds' oneself" connotations that are so important, but state-of-mind is just horrible and brings to mind way too much Cartesianism and scientism.
>>
File: Heidegger 03.jpg (419 KB, 2013x3031) Image search: [Google]
Heidegger 03.jpg
419 KB, 2013x3031
>>8029335
>If you find philosophy hard
if you find philosophy hard, don't bother with Heidegger, more like.

Polanyi might give you something similar and be more digestible.
>>
who the fuck is Heidegger and what's he on about?
>>
if i read this will it allow me to be able to hunt wizards alongside joseph ratzinger?
>>
>>8029296
*England

English are the people.
>>
>>8029364
>Also, cross out 'the "they"' whenever you see it and almost always put 'the 'one"', or even better das Man.
I thought the they had to do with how you imagine others perceive you, or what is societally expected of you.
>>
>>8029326
Any recommendation as to what concepts/works are key or do I need a general knowledge of each philosopher?
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.