[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished this. Thoughts on this book and its author?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1
File: crash.jpg (39 KB, 327x498) Image search: [Google]
crash.jpg
39 KB, 327x498
Just finished this.

Thoughts on this book and its author?
>>
you tell me, you're the one that's just read it
>>
Ballard is probably my favorite author. his themes of the intersection of media/technology with humanity, surgical prose, and subversive spirit strongly resonate with me. Why I Want to Fuck Ronald Reagan might be one of the greatest things i've ever read.
>>
>>8027404
Ballard is great.

Love the Atrocity Exhibition, Drought and Hi-Rise

One could argue that sometimes his characters seem the same, but then, one could argue that many a post-modern man seems the same.
>>
>>8027448
>>8027487
Cronenberg put me off this guy but I want to give him another shot.

Where to start? What's his best?
>>
I really dislike Ballard's style. It feels stilted. The sentences don't flow into each other, it's stop - go - stop - go. Extremely frustrating to read.
>>
>>8028104
I kind of second this. The dialogue especially is extremely stilted and unnatural. I'm 100% sure it's deliberate, but I can't really into it.

I still like some of the short stories, though. If you want to see Ballard writing really normally, with more flow, try the novel Empire of the Sun (dat first line) or the short story The Drowned Giant.
>>
>>8027410
>/lit/ - Tell me what to read, then tell me what I should think about it, The Board.
>>
>>8028082
The Atrocity Exhibition is his best if you ask me. It circumvents ballard's typical issues with stilted prose / characterization because of its highly abstracted nature.

However if you're not feeling as adventurous, start with High-Rise
>>
Its a shame his last book, Kingdom Come, was reduced to airport thriller.

Great guy.
>>
>>8028510
Haven't got round to reading it yet, but it's hilarious that in every chapter the protagonist has a slightly different scientist-in-a-1950s-B-movie name.
>>
>>8028319
...actually I exaggerate when I say I can't into it. I actually really like some of his weirder stuff like The Voices of Time.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.