[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Controversial Books Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6
File: Ragebachman.jpg (11 KB, 255x385) Image search: [Google]
Ragebachman.jpg
11 KB, 255x385
Hey /lit/,

For some reason I'm drawn to books that seem "unacceptable" to be read/owned

I've currently set my sights on "Rage" by Stephen King, but I haven't been able to find a pdf online and it's sorta expensive to buy physically. Does anyone have a pdf of it? Is it even worth reading?

Also, the general point of this thread is to recommend controversial or banned books that you found worthwhile. At least in my experience it's been tough to sort out what is actually a worthwhile read vs. what is merely hyped up because it is banned. For example, I found The Anarchist's Cookbook to be entirely worthless and only hype.

Similarly, would you recommend The Satanic Verses to be read solo? I had a friend take a class that had her read it, and she said it might not be as enjoyable without other people to critically discuss it with.
>>
>>8024031
>Controversial Books
I wouldn't bother. It's always for stupid reasons too.
>>
>>8024033
This just for Rage or for books that tend to be controversial in general?
>>
>>8024041
If you need an example of "controversial" books.
Catcher in the rye is considered "controversial". Controversial just implies it made a group of wealthy 60 year old white men in suits mad or confused.
>>
Turner Diaries
>>
Buy the Bachman collection, it's in there and the book is cheap. It's a pretty good read, I'd say it was as good as if not better than John Green's stuff.
>>
>>8024051
Thanks for the suggestion, Timothy
>>
>>8024072
Thanks, the cheapest I could find the Bachman Collection for was $38, so I wanted to make sure it was worth it before my cheap self shelled out the money
>>
>>8024031
Infinite Jest.

Some people say it's godly, others that it's shit, still others that it's not bad but it's a huge meme. Join the controversy, anon!
>>
Peter Sotos

Holocaust Denial ;Ernst Zuendel's IP is banned in Germany I think
>>
>>8024031
I found it online maybe a year or two ago without too much trouble. On a certain major torrent site Rage was included with a whole shitload of King's other work as an ebook so I just took that and a couple of others out no problem.

I think it's probably one of King's more interesting works. He gets into that cool stream of consciousness type groove that he's known for really well and all the characters have that weird, small-town believably that he pulls off so well.
>>
>>8024183

I feel nostalgic for small town Maine, not because I grew up there, hell, I am German and live in Lower Saxony, but because I read so much King as a kid in the 80s.
>>
Some books on Blood Libel were attacked in Israel
See:

http://www.israelshamir.net/English/Eng11.htm
>>
File: 276477.jpg (80 KB, 300x475) Image search: [Google]
276477.jpg
80 KB, 300x475
I enjoyed this (Apocalypse Culture), a series of essays and interviews with weirdos

Some are great (that guy who hangs himself from nails for the religious experience - the female necrophiliacs), some are 4chan-tier edgy shit (Peter Soros interview).
>>
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_books_banned_by_governments

have fun reading OP
>>
>>8024031
>I haven't been able to find a pdf online

libgen has many formats.
>>
>>8024033
>>8024041

Rage is "controversial" because King himself sort of withdrew it (asking his publishers to allow it to go out of print, initially as a standalone title, later apparently also as part of the Bachman Books) after it was associated with individuals who committed crimes along the lines of the plot, and unlike authors in some similar cases, he seemed to concur with the association. So it's a rare case of (not really) a "ban" imposed and supported by the author.
>>
>>8024046
haha white men amirite?
>>
The traditional Western canon is controversial in some "academic" circles.
>>
>>8024046
>>8025967
Those pesky white men and their imperialist (but superior) Western culture.
>>
Why do people outside of this board shit on King so much?
>>
American Psycho.
>>
File: Lolita.jpg (30 KB, 361x606) Image search: [Google]
Lolita.jpg
30 KB, 361x606
>Banned in France, the country where Americans like Miller had to go to be able to publish their work, but not in America.

how?
>>
>>8024182
How is Peter Sotos unacceptable?
>>
I liked the part where he was too afraid to get up and go pee.

I identified with that.
>>
Is it possible for a work of fiction to be controversial today without being edgy?
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-05-11-20-12-12.png (398 KB, 1080x1920) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-05-11-20-12-12.png
398 KB, 1080x1920
>>8024031
Did you try the IRC?
>>
>>8024031
Esoteric Hitlerists, spenglerites and ariosophists in general.

Also >>8024182
>>
File: dscf0001-500x592.jpg (78 KB, 500x592) Image search: [Google]
dscf0001-500x592.jpg
78 KB, 500x592
>tfw no one on /lit/ has ever read this
>>
>>8024272
Thanks King. I sold my spanish copy for $50 because the book is out of print and I could buy the Bachman books in hardcover in English :3
>>
File: 1461699330099.png (152 KB, 335x525) Image search: [Google]
1461699330099.png
152 KB, 335x525
>>8025995
This is worse than Fox News and their war on christmas bullshit.
You are exactly the same kind of person as the 55 year old housewife who will find an article on foxnews.com about North Korean death camps and leave a comment about how Obama is a week away from making America the same way.
Fuck off.
>>
>>8026292
If this is a SWAT/riot police themed erotic novel I will read it.
>>
>>8026593
It looks more like a "the president is a muslim who hates america" novel
If you look closer the woman is lady justice and the burning background is the constitution
Only evangelicals would use such forced shit
>>
>>8026292
>>8027069
Whatever it is, i want to fuck that Lady Justice
>>
>>8027069
well, you're wrong and all it took was a google search

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unintended_Consequences_(novel)
>>
>>8027186
Did you read that wikipedia article? It's about the evil ATF literally murdering people who are pro-gun and the heroic country boy (whose pickup truck outraces a porsche, and who is an expert self-trained marksman, pilot, and fucking skydiver) going on a solo rampage to kill the entire ATF. He then convinces the president to repeal all anti-gun legislation.
So yes, it's heavy-handed transparently political wankery. You proved my point for me.
>>
>>8024031
I read Rage in a collection I bought called The Bachmann Books.

Its not hard to find second hard on evay and amazon. Just make sure the copy you buy containsr rage as later Bachmann Books removed it.

I enjoyed Rage
>>
>>8024080
I bought a paper back copy on Amazon for less than 10 dollars.
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.