[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What did he mean by this?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 638x479) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 638x479
>>
File: 1454297231177.jpg (7 KB, 94x102) Image search: [Google]
1454297231177.jpg
7 KB, 94x102
>>
>>8023636
Kek
>>
But really, what did he mean by this? I never understood this quote
>>
recording medium for message = tangible book linear script; the unseen radio wave transmission; the cuts and succession of TV images on screen; and interactive computer windows with intangible data
>>
>>8023631
>WAR IS PEACE
>FREEDOM IS SLAVERY
>IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH
>>
That's right.
>>
>>8023712
>FEAR IS FREEDOM
>SUBJUGATION IS LIBERATION
>CONTRADICTION IS TRUTH
>>
The ideas we put to paper are filtered by the medium. Medium is like a translation in that you aren't really reading the original work but the translator's interpretation, which in this case is the medium itself.
>>
File: tumblr_o2d2fsimSF1qehf4jo1_540.jpg (60 KB, 540x406) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o2d2fsimSF1qehf4jo1_540.jpg
60 KB, 540x406
>>8023631
>>8023707
the medium is just as important as the message because without the medium we wouldn't have the message. Yet the medium ultimately filters the message because its impossible to have an entirely objective account of reality, so the message we receive isn't the reality itself but the media's version of the message - which in itself becomes its own reality. So what you're seeing is the medium, not the message. The medium is the message.

And the medium is also the massage but don't get me started that bullshit unfunny pun.
>>
>>8023631
Let me just clarify >>8023903

McLuhan claims that the change of medium -- that is, the actual technology or format by which we live our lives and communicate with one another -- is MORE important than the content of what is inside of the medium. McLuhan claims that the invention of the alphabet created linear thought, while all books written thereafter were simply working within the flow of linear thought. Therefore, the medium changed our actual brain cognition, whereas the content of all written works builds off of the changes presented by the medium.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.