[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
"The annual labour of every nation is the fund which originally
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (19 KB, 187x238) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
19 KB, 187x238
"The annual labour of every nation is the fund which originally supplies it with all the necessaries and conveniencies of life which it annually consumes, and which consist always either in the immediate produce of that labour, or in what is purchased with that produce from other nations."

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: adamsmithbldg.jpg (106 KB, 691x521) Image search: [Google]
adamsmithbldg.jpg
106 KB, 691x521
idk but this is the uni building named after him pretty shit right lol
>>
>>8022348
>Brutalist building
I will never not hate these nor understand why they were ever put up and still have their defenders
>>
A nation pays its workers to be able to live life with all the "necessaries and conveniences", and those necessaries and conveniences are either made or manufactured in that nation or imported.

And those things (Necessaries and conveniences) I assume are things like enforcement of law and bureaucratic tasks, all the way down to agriculture and manufacturing. All the things a government needs to function.
>>
>>8022348
just needs a good pressure washing.
>>
>>8023454
out of the millions of buildings whats so bad about having a few experimental ones?
>>
>>8023454

Half of the appeal is precisely that they offend the sensibilities of traditionalists. The other half is that they are angular, imposing, pre-religious godless structures, not erected to anything else but to human utility, even pushing back on the latter at times. Their dull earth and refusal to play nice, except within reason, is precisely the rest of their apeal. They are not erected in the name of any god, and that is as it should be. The person who suggests that their godlessness renders them ugly, wholly misses the point.

To look at a piece of brutalist architecture, to walk inside it, read a book in it, look outside from in it, is to know the earth. It is quietly listening to Sunn O))). It is to be a cave, before all pretense. And, it is good. So what if they rot.

Guess what, faggot. Brutalist buildings exist, all over the world. And they will continue to exist for at least another century, or if they don't, then several ruins should vine over nicely, sci-fi like. I would happily live in one of the local such hives if they weren't infested with Somalis. Would that the Brutalist building could break the 60-IQ Somali of his religious spirit; ideally, that is what it should properly do. And bring the resident back down to earth, to simple angles, to the security of concrete, or cement, of reality, of the 1970s post-Vietnam malaise, then reflected in film, disgustingly 'rejected' in later days of Reaganism and post-Soviet triumphalism. And still, the obdurate Brutalist husks remains, depressing most, bringing them back down to earth.

And that is as it should be.
>>
>>8023498
thanks. you actually changed my opinion on it.
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.