[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what do you think about my idea for a novel: I want to adapt
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2
File: 1459163413820.jpg (40 KB, 493x248) Image search: [Google]
1459163413820.jpg
40 KB, 493x248
So what do you think about my idea for a novel:

I want to adapt Dostoyevsky's "Notes" in a contemporary setting (student, social media etc.etc.). Pynchon is my favorite author so I'd also use a million pop-culture references so that the reddit crowd will approve of it. Sounds like a great idea, doesn't it?
I'll start tomorrow, never have written anything before besides papers for university.

Wish me luck
>>
>>8020686
Whats at stake though anon? What is at stake?!
>>
>>8020686
What is your underground man going to critique? Enlightenment philosophy is long dead. A narrator living out post-modernism could be interesting, but I imagine it'd just be infinite jest.
>>
>>8020706
He will not critique anything. Or, well (wow, I will use that pun in the novel), he will express his desires in the ways the /r9k/-beta wojaks do all the time.

Besides, the underground man was unreliable to an extent where his "philosophy" stopped making sense and contradicted itself every second chapter.
>>
>>8020686
Fucking Jimmy you fucking idiot.
>>
>>8020686
Why do people repost this image? It's a scientific fact that literally every kid does this.
>>
File: Girls.png (490 KB, 449x401) Image search: [Google]
Girls.png
490 KB, 449x401
>I want to adapt Dostoyevsky's "Notes" in a contemporary setting

So you're writing an autobiographique
>>
>>8021087
hehe :^)

Yeah, I was meaning to ask. If I include some weird things, will people (friends) automatically assume it's autobiographic?
I'm pretty much a normie, but anyway
>>
>>8021123

Nom: "mémoire of autistic poster on japanese imageboard"
>>
>>8020686
Funny, I was actually using themes from the book in a fantasy story. It's about a student at a magical school who is pathologically socially inept, self loathing, paranoid, has delusions of grandeur, wants to make the world a better place yet is very resentful of society around him. He ends up going on a monomythic adventure and apparently overcoming all of his weirdness, but I intend to continually drop hints that nothing about him as a person has changed, only the way his person is expressed. The story will end with an epilogue which depicts him as an old man, delivering largely the same criticisms of society and suffering the same paranoia that we saw him struggle with in his youth.

>>8021123
They do anyways. Friends are piss poor readers of any work that is psychological in nature. They'll do the equivalent of digging around in your footnotes all day to figure out where you got your ideas.
>>
>>8021239
That story sounds interestingly subversive yet boring as fuck. I hope you'll keep it under 200 pages.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.