[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/QTDDTOT/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 25
File: voltaire_grand.gif (100 KB, 400x483) Image search: [Google]
voltaire_grand.gif
100 KB, 400x483
/lit/ is a slow board, think before you decide to kill a thread by making a new one.

Need a book rec and too stupid to check the wiki? Ask here.

Have a banal question and can't use google? Ask here.

Have a question that you won't think will generate much discussion? Ask here.
>>
Why Voltaire always looks so smug?
>>
>>8014115
Hes French
>>
I am looking for a book on the history ancient China (nonfiction, not literature). Any recs?
>>
>>8014131
*history of ancient China
>>
>>8014103
Am I a pleb for loving Dostoyevsky
>>
File: 12.gif (1 MB, 200x200) Image search: [Google]
12.gif
1 MB, 200x200
>>8014131
Jacques Gernet is pretty solid
>>
>>8014139
probably yes

How gay / miserable / social is a job at a bookstore? what about a really hipster used bookstore in an urban center?
>>
>>8014154
Depends entirely on the store. Ask existing employees and try to get one who will talk your ear off rather than "It's OK" McHipster
>>
what's the opposite of being 'down to earth'

i thesaurused it but 'idealistic' didnt seem right
>>
>>8014154
practically asocial and the pay is guaranteed to be garbage. They'll probably let you loan books for free but otherwise you're just stacking shelves, doing inventory and walking around.

If you're trusted to be a cashier then you get to stand in one spot handling money for 6 hours.
>>
>>8014159
complex, ambitious, idealistic
>>
>>8014173
but down to earth has positive connotations. shouldnt it's opposite be negative
>>
>>8014159
Pretentious, self centered
this is English 101 you fucking nigger
>>
What is the best bildungsroman?
>>
>>8014180
if you want negative you can try scheming, conniving, or cunning (although cunning can go both ways)

But the real opposite for down to earth doesn't necessarily have to be positive. Someone who is down to earth can also be described as being simple, or uneducated.
>>
>>8014159
head in the clouds

>>8014180
not that guy, but: not necessarily. down to earth often has an undertone of having downsides. it's not really a bad thing to say someone is "salt of the earth," pragmatic, keeps his head to the ground, etc., but you are usually also saying that he isn't really ambitious, idealistic, visionary.

like the reverse is true too. saying someone is idealistic, depending on context, can have undertones of naivete.
>>
Is it normal to actively enjoy almost nothing one reads? I feel accomplished for reading but so little affects me in any way that I feel it might not be worth it.
>>
>>8014183
nice try you lose though

>>8014197
thanks m8
>>
File: 1405199644.jpg (36 KB, 300x433) Image search: [Google]
1405199644.jpg
36 KB, 300x433
>>8014192
>>
>>8014124
Who's Hes French?
>>
>>8014154
what city?
>>
>>8014159
'above us' for colloquial.
>>
>>8014214
Depends on why you are reading. if it is to feel accomplished then you are probably reading for the wrong reason, hence no enjoyment.
>>
What are some good audio books? I am specifically looking for anything in the topics of history, science, or philosophy.

The topic being less important than how comforting voice of the reader is.
>>
>>8014192
Jane Eyre
>>
>>8014103
I have three questions.

>What is /lit's/ favourite writing software to use (if any)?

Secondly, I know that fanfiction is seldom posted here and are looked down upon, though I have a query and I'm not sure where else to ask.
When writing this sort of fic as a pairing, is it acceptable to write up to a 1,000 words on average about things that simply build misc. characters up but does not affect storyline whatsoever, nor goes with the canon storyline that has already been set?

I've been doing a lot of comparing to other fanfictions that are in the same universe and/or pairing and I've become quite self-conscious of how I tell stories because I'm not sure if the paragraphs of descriptive and non-dialogue texts are what people WANT to read when they might just be there for the dialogue and general banter between characters.

>Also, if applicable, what fanfiction sites does /lit/ use?
>>
File: Stendhal - Le Rouge et le Noir.jpg (69 KB, 341x550) Image search: [Google]
Stendhal - Le Rouge et le Noir.jpg
69 KB, 341x550
>>8014192
>What is the best bildungsroman
Stendhal's The Red and the Black, imo.
>>
>>8014466
q10
http://www.baara.com/q10/

or libre office.

Write your fanfiction the same way you would write a serious novel or short story. Don't believe in the nonsense about fanfiction having its own rules. Readers are receptive to work that is similar to the style of the source material or work that is just good.

I used fimfiction when I was a brony.
>>
File: 1462413850348.jpg (300 KB, 643x430) Image search: [Google]
1462413850348.jpg
300 KB, 643x430
Which should I read?

Lawrence Durrell - Justine
Kurt Vonnegut- Cat's Cradle
Cervantes - Don Quixote (Grossman Translation)
C.S. Lewis - The Screwtape Letters

I need a good book to read. Just finished Bergman's filmography and I'm in the mood for a book for a change.
>>
>>8014480
>libreoffice
Funny you should say that, I just switched from Windows (aka Word) to Linux and it has that software. Liking it so far.

Thanks for the vote of confidence, anon. I'm currently on Ao3 and it seems that many prioritise dialogue over any other kind of writing. I'm just going to keep on pushing my version and hope that people will like it.
>>
How is the Constance Garnett Translation of Crime and Punishment?
>>
Disregarding italics or any similar font to emphasise a word, how do you spell a prolonged word?

For example:
"Yeeeesss!"
or
"Ye-e-e-e-s-s-s!"

Which looks better?
>>
>>8014543
haven't read it but judging by the amount of threads i have seen with this question. Go with garnett.
>>
>>8014543
Not as bad as many people say. Magarshack works, I believe, from her translation while correcting her more egregious errors. His was the translation I read.

Also, this article may be worth reading:
https://www.commentarymagazine.com/articles/the-pevearsion-of-russian-literature/
>>
>>8014545
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jmbUh5iTfY
>>
>>8014545
You should only be stressing one vowel or consonant sound.

"Yeeeeeees!"

or be cool like me and use the tilde.

"Yes~!"
>>
I'm looking for a russian book about mayor corruption in a small village, I read it when I was a kid, so details are kind of opaque in my memory. It was written in the 19th or 18th century.
>>
>>8014590
Thanks!
>>
>>8014624
The Inspector General by Gogol? It's a play, but sounds like what you're looking for
>>
>>8014665
thanks a lot, i'm reading the plot summary right now and the images i pictured when i read it are coming back, felt kinda nostalgic
>>
>>8014369
underrated post
>>
>>8014545
I like the split (second one)
>>
>>8014750
I see it more often than not in the books I read, but only see amateurs use a prolonged vowel with dashes.

Still, I think without splits/dashes, it just looks better. I'm unsure why.
>>
I have a fantastic world full of interesting mechanics and awe-inspiring gods but every attempt at writing it has turned out shitty.

What do?
>>
>>8014773
>amateurs use a prolonged vowel with dashes

Disregard that, I suck cocks. I was supposed to have written WITHOUT dashes, not with.
>>
How can I understand books better? After I finish a book I always feel like I didn't get everything there is to get about it.
>>
>>8014801
Read slowly and thoughtfully. Maybe journal your thoughts as you read
>>
File: ww2.jpg (28 KB, 300x400) Image search: [Google]
ww2.jpg
28 KB, 300x400
I have three volumes of a World War 2 chronicle from Readers Digest.

Its the Second Edition and was published in 1965, it also describes itself as a ''compilation of 500 books from authors of both sides''. Pic related could be the ones distributed in North America.

However, I did wanted to ask (if some of you know of reader digest) how accurate and unbiased could these books be?
>>
File: 1458946005164.png (470 KB, 994x768) Image search: [Google]
1458946005164.png
470 KB, 994x768
>>8014801
>>
What are the best publishers in terms of material quality and in terms of actual literary quality? I'm asking this because I was thinking of buying some Wordsworth books, but I'm not sure if they'll crumble or not, or if they'll actually be good translations/reprints.
>>
>>8014801
if you havent read a book twice you havent really read it at all
>>
Why DOES /lit/ look down on those who read for fun?
It's pretty much their own version of /v/'s
>enjoying video games
>having friends to play with in video games
>I shiggy diggy
>>
>>8015617
Despite their cringe-inducing cover art choices (which are only for the novels anyway), and their average translations, the quality of their bindings and the paper they use are actually very good for the price. Their poetry publications are even better, with the added benefit of lacking despicable cover art. Their philosophy publications are also great.
>>
>>8015617
Sorry, I forgot to mention in >>8016205 I was talking about Wordsworth.
>>
Does anyone here follow any blogs? If so, which ones?
>>
>>8014103
How long does it take to git gud at philosophy?

Can I skip everything which attempts to "prove" gods existence or presents god as the proof of their idea without harming my philosophical maturity?

Is science the end of philosophy?
>>
>>8016232
Depends on intelligence, dedication and time spent understanding and then applying.

I don't see why not. In fact, I feel like that question is a meme.

No. And now I'm certain I've been memed. Well done. You hooked me on those three sumptuous, squirming morsels.
>>
>>8016232
"God" and theology have zero relevance to philosophy. Become a priest if you're into that nonsense.
>>
Does anyone recommend secondary literature on Aristotle?
>>
>>8016418
Yes. Translations vary in a slight degree which, yet just un-slight enough to change what Aristotle is trying to say if a word is ambiguous. Secondary literature on Aristotle is not only essential to understand what the fuck he really means, but also necessary if you want to sidestep ambiguity in the translation of the terms he uses.
>>
>>8016232
Years

No, because #1: ontology inherently involves talking about possible divinity, and #2: most of the god dudes were doing non-god philosophy disguised as god philosophy, #3: most of the "real" philosophy guys were still talking about god in one way or another (Kant and Hegel eg)

Science is part of philosophy but modern "science" is a fairly simplistic worldview for people who don't know much about philosophy. Being super good at interpreting astronomy data or crunching numbers isn't really philosophical, but even the super smart "big picture" science guys are basically just recycling #1: recycling a mishmash of old worldviews, #2: oblivious to the fact that there are "worldviews" and think theirs is the default/only possible one (similar to a naive person rejecting the historical study of capitalism because "isn't it all just people exchanging things for what they want to pay for them???"), #3: oblivious to the fact that there is a lot of criticism of their worldview as instrumentalized / incomplete, both in the "you're causing social problems!" sense and in the "you will never have a complete science of reality if you just keep hammering away at this busted worldview"
>>
/lit/ isn't even that slow
>>
>>8016232
>Is science the end of philosophy
Modern science is based on certain philosophical axioms. Scientific theories postulate certain non-observable entities which means it assumes a certain philosophical worldview about reality: realism. And so on.

Once you realize that there is no philosophy-free science you'll tend to see things from a different prism.
>>
>>8016229
https://larvalsubjects.wordpress.com/
>>
>>8016208
>>8016205
Thanks senpai, I was thinking of getting some of their philosophy stuff which is why I was asking.
>>
>>8014496
Don Quixote
>>
>>8014545
Both look absolutely terrible

Use another construction to convey exclamations
>>
>>8016126
It's ironical
>>
>>8016959
>Use another construction to convey exclamations

Elaborate. Preferably with an example.
>>
>>8014103
I used to absolutley love reading from my childhood up until 3 weeks ago, then i stopped reading for a while and now whenever i try to get through a book I can only get through 5 or 6 pages until my mind trails off and all of the words just jumble together in one big mess. Is my attention span shot? Can i ever get back into reading? How?
>>
>>8017025
read something easy and enjoyable.
>>
To those who have read Anthony Kenny's New History of Western Philosophy, did you read it front to back or in categorical chunks (e.g. reading the Book 1 Ethics section, then the Book 2 Ethics section and so on...)?
>>
>>8014103
Do I need to read Homer before Plato? I've read Hamilton btw
>>
Is there a point to pondering god when he's infinitely above any human concept?
>>
>>8017170
chances are someone has already pondered your banal thoughts on god hundreds of years ago and it's only a matter of finding the writer.
>>
>>8017148
I'm not understanding why you're making a correlation between the two. Homer was a poet, and is seen as the "start" of western literature, Plato was a philosopher and his work is seen as the "start" of western philosophy.

The two don't any common points other than they were both ancient greeks
>>
>>8017170
God, if He exists, isn't a concept, but God.

You're conflating concepts with what these concepts denote.
>>
Did I make a mistake by ordering a german copy of The ego and his own?
>>
>>8017170
Being above human conceptions is itself a human concept.
>>
>>8017315
Depends if you can read German or not
>>
>>8017355
I can.
Maybe having a dictionary will help a little.
>>
File: Telegram-messenger.jpg (217 KB, 1250x767) Image search: [Google]
Telegram-messenger.jpg
217 KB, 1250x767
This isn't a question, but I made a Telegram group for /lit/. Here it is if anyone gives a shit.
https://telegram.me/joinchat/CdkLez9L0cf3kPKjqaW6Ug

Telegram is a cross-platform messaging application if you don't know.
Someone had the idea that this group could be used to share books. I think it's a good idea.
It's a new group, so completely baren. I expect someone else to shape it.
>>
>>8017233
all the guides tell me to do so. thanks for the clarification
>>
>>8017067
I read it front to back. Without going into detail it's very compelling and informative
>>
>>8014460
nobody?
>>
>>8017170
What in god's name is god though?
>>
>>8017365
>https://telegram.me/joinchat/CdkLez9L0cf3kPKjqaW6Ug

problem loading page
>>
>>8014159
Etheral?
>>
>>8014159
"head in the clouds"
>>
File: 1415139037953.jpg (11 KB, 300x342) Image search: [Google]
1415139037953.jpg
11 KB, 300x342
>>8014369
>>
Is anyone apart of a book club?
>>
File: The-Lime-Twig-John-Hawkes.jpg (15 KB, 220x337) Image search: [Google]
The-Lime-Twig-John-Hawkes.jpg
15 KB, 220x337
What font is this book in? (I asked this in another thread and someone replied with a dead link) It's so sexy, I just want a name/download.
>>
>>8019300

>>>/gd/
>>
File: image.jpg (127 KB, 500x732) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
127 KB, 500x732
In a universe with seemingly infinite matter, and infinite time -- how is it that I exist at all? How is it that matter can think, and call itself "I?"
>>
>>8014154
Is this perhaps Powell's in Portland?

I know this isn't a critique thread but let me know if this opening is a little too "Gregory Berrycone":

Act I: In which our protagonist Leopold Garnet III learns that he is not (as previously foretold) the reincarnation of a 2nd century BCE Suebian warchief.

The temperature was approximately 498 degrees Rankine on Leopold Garnett III's 16th birthday, and accompanying this was a rather stubborn and gusty wind that was not to subside for another sixteenth of a fortnight. Because of this, Leopold's traditional ex-uterine anniversary party was held inside his family's palatial manor rather than on its spacious front lawn.

Leopold was just placing a glass containing a sweet gin and tonic up to his lips when a plump girl with blonde braids approached him, at first surreptitiously, but then with confident measured movements that suggested at once both hours of practice and spontaneous intent. The two locked eyes for several millenia, an icy pool of blue spring water meeting the matte black finish of a custom Ford GT. Blonde braids jostled slightly as their owner vocalized the all encompassing emotional range of the Homo Sapiens.
"Hey"
"Hey"
"You're not the reincarnation of a 2nd century BCE Suebian warchief."
"Shoot."
>>
It's it essential to be familiar with Kant's COPR to be able to read his ethical and political writings?
>>
>>8014157
can I also ask nonexisting ones?
>>
Could someone suggest a book (non-fiction) that analyses inconsistencies/anomalies/hypocrisies in modern political discourse? For example, a common one would be the 'regressive left' and how the left's approach to Islam is inconsistent with their other beliefs (at least, that's how it's discussed here in the UK).

I'm not looking for a repository-type text that lists off a load of positions. Rather, I want to understand broadly how these supposed inconsistencies arise, and how and why prospective voters react to them in the ways that they do.
>>
>>8014159
I think of "down to earth" as:
Relatable
Open
Understanding

Opposites of that would be:
Distant
Callous
???
>>
File: 1453303606492.gif (46 KB, 272x220) Image search: [Google]
1453303606492.gif
46 KB, 272x220
Figured I'll ask here.
I rarely read, and I'd like to start reading more often.
What are some good adventure books?
Perhaps philosophy, too?
>>
File: 1462881999240.jpg (70 KB, 668x580) Image search: [Google]
1462881999240.jpg
70 KB, 668x580
Any good books that read like /k/ innawoods creepypasta?

Not outright supernatural, or horror slash gore shit but just weird stuff happening that won't necessarily be explained. Anons alone in the woods, creepy things that happened to them as kids etc.
>>
>>8014863
Could I first get a guide on how to read an infographic?
>>
>>8020191
Second this, sounds like an interesting thing I'd read.
>>
Which book will help me get over the new radiohead album not being good?
>>
>>8017933
yeh this

head in the clouds, delusional
>>
>>8020202
Tbh radiohead is all bad
>>
>>8020202
They only have 6 good songs, what did you read when most of the albums weren't any good?
>>
>>8020210
only needed it for HTTT, didn't read back then, played games. wasn't aware of them when pablo honey came out
>>
File: 3405984.png (3 KB, 356x81) Image search: [Google]
3405984.png
3 KB, 356x81
>>8020216
Wait, it's only 5. I went through their entire discography.
>>
>>8020221
>nothing from in rainbows

that's an unforgivable goof i'm afraid, even by plen standards
>>
>>8020190
Meditations is a good place to start with philosophy. Plato is good too, or the presocratic fragments like Heraclitus. For adventure, I recommend The Lost World by Arthur Conan Doyle.
>>
>>8019391
2deep4me
>>
Is it possible to jump straight to nietchze, kiekergaard, spinoza and any other 20th century philosopher without reading the greeks? Will i be overwhelmed?
>>
>>8020567
>Is it possible to jump straight to nietchze, kiekergaard, spinoza and any other 20th century philosopher without reading the greeks?
yes
>Will i be overwhelmed?
no

as long as you know the basics of philosophy and have decent reading comprehension you should be fine
>>
I'm halfway through 1984 and haven't gotten to read it the last couple days to answer my curiosity:
Is the overall 'all eyes on you at all times' oppressive government also a metaphor for being in a shit marriage that you can't get out of because of stately and religious morals, so then affairs rise and their struggles ensue?
Because I'm starting to really get that vibe right now at this point in the book, so I'm curious.
>>
>>8020617
If you can strongly justify it with quotation from passages then sure why the hell not

welcome to the subjectivity of literature
>>
Hey lit.
Im looking for a book to improve myself.
But not like stupid self-improvement books.
Books that will make me dig a lesson from it for example elon musks otobiography.
Im just tired of my neet life Style
>>
>>8020658
read the stoics
>>
>>8020604
What classifies as the "bare basic" of philosophy? This is my first attempt in reading an actual philosophy book. As for reading comperhension, i think i'll manage. I heard another anon said that the greeks are very broad and is refrenced a lot, is this true?
Im asking this because im an awfully slow reader and im not really interested in the greek dialogues (and its long as balls).
>>
What should I have for dinner?
>>
>>8020670
just make sure you're brushed up on Kant, Utilitarianism, moral pluralism and all the rest of that shit, basically equip your self with a high school level of information and you'll be fine

>>8020675
aids
>>
>>8020670
>>>
> Anonymous 05/10/16(Tue)16:42:37 No.8020629▶
>>>8020617
>If you can strongly justify it with quotation from passages then sure why the hell not
>welcome to the subjectivity of literature
>>>
> Anonymous 05/10/16(Tue)16:48:56 No.8020658▶>>8020669
>Hey lit.
>Im looking for a book to improve myself.
>But not like stupid self-improvement books.
>Books that will make me dig a lesson from it for example elon musks otobiography.
>Im just tired of my neet life Style
>>>
> Anonymous 05/10/16(Tue)16:50:39 No.8020669▶
>>>8020658
>read the stoics
>>>
> Anonymous 05/10/16(Tue)16:50:40 No.8020670▶
>>>8020604
>What classifies as the "bare basic" of philosophy? This is my first attempt in reading an actual philosophy book. As for reading comperhension, i think i'll manage. I heard another anon said that the greeks are very broad and is refrenced a lot, is this true?
>Im asking this because im an awfully slow reader and im not really interested in the greek dialogues (and its long as balls).
>[Post a Reply][Return] [Catalog] [Top] 119 / 14 / 59 / 1 [Update] [Auto] No new posts
>Please support 4chan by disabling your ad blocker on *.4chan.org/*, purchasing a self-serve ad, or buying a 4chan Pass.
>Delete Post: [File Only] Style:
>[a / b / c / d / e / f / g / gif / h / hr / k / m / o / p / r / s / t / u / v / vg / vr / w / wg] [i / ic] [r9k] [s4s] [cm / hm / lgbt / y] [3 / aco / adv / an / asp / biz / cgl / ck / co / diy / fa / fit / gd / hc / his / int / jp / lit / mlp / mu / n / news / out / po / pol / qst / sci / soc / sp / tg / toy / trv / tv / vp / wsg / wsr / x] [Edit][Settings] [Home]
>All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
>About • Feedback • Legal • Contact
>>
>>8020682
what's that?
>>
>>8020683
what did he mean by this?
>>
>>8020683
what DID he mean by this?
>>
Which Bible translation is the best?
>>
>>8020708
this one >>8020683
>>
>>8014507
Use LaTeX.
>>
>>8019941
p-pls somebody answer
>>
yo i just took a shit that was spicy as fuck
>>
>>8020747
just go on a /leftypol/ book thread, they'll have something
>>
>>8020669
Thanks it really looks like what ı am searching for.
Could you recimmend any specific links? Or book.

Also more similar things please
>>
>>8020747
u'd probably have to ask somewhere on the american republican blogosphere, lefties and pcs won't dare "go there" but i feel u on this issue, why is it that a professor can't be christian, but he can be jewish or islamic? if ur white u have to athiest or convert to one of the desert religions, like if a professor is a hardcore muslim who goes on and on about how america is evil and shit like that he will recieve a post-colonial award, but if a christian points out that jews are ruining america he'll get his tenure pulled and sent to the homeless shelter
>>
I've realised the reason I have a shit idiomatic grasp is because I don't talk much in person and therefore am not as exposed to those helpful commonplace phrases as I'd like to be. Other than getting out more how could I go about fixing this? Should I just write a load of cliche-laden rubbish to get into the flow of that kind of language?
>>
>>8020770
Wouldn't watching television or maybe even films help with this if you can't meet people?

I really wouldn't worry too much about common phrases, unless you were writing a character that uses phrases.
>>
>>8020759
Will do, thanks.

>>8020766
The regressive left thing was just an example. I'm not looking for anything with a specific slant or agenda to push. In fact, that'd be the exact opposite of what I want; I can easily foresee it falling into those partisan traps I wish to see deconstructed and analysed objectively (as much as that is possible).

Like, the inconsistency you 'identified' is sort of what I'm talking about. EXCEPT, I do wonder if it is a fabrication in order to attract voters by splitting issue into two camps. When Trump complain at length about X, does X exist? Who does X appeal to? Is X consistent with THEIR other views? If not, what do they like about it? -- That kinda thing
>>
>>8020780
also, a lot of phrases u hear "in real life" are just things people got from tv anyways...i don't watch tv so i'm not sure but it just seems like certain common things must be from tv "you had one job!" has to a catch phrase of a sitcom character or something, etc. not to mention people misunderstanding rap lyrics and things...for example in my area people use the term "ratchet" to describe ppl that are loud as fuck and make a racket, even tho originally the term "ratchet ho" meant prostitutes you fuck in the backseat of ur car, those making ur car wobble like it's being ratcheted up...so even if u hearing slang in an urban area u can't guarantee the average pleb on the street even understands his own culture enough to use it properly
>>
>>8020761
anything by Dostoevsky or Tolstoy is good, I'd say start with Dostoevsky because I'm a fanboy

read notes from the underground first then move onto Demons and Crime and Punishment

it changed my life and made me less of a selfish cunt in regards to family
>>
>>8020802
>Trump

oh no another sheltered rich guy who doesn't "get" Trump...go outside of your bourgeois bohemian urban enclave and talk to some working class people for once, dummy
>>
>>8020780
>I really wouldn't worry too much about common phrases, unless you were writing a character that uses phrases.

It's because I often have trouble expressing myself simply as opposed to writing fiction. When I'm trying to articulate a thought of mine (say, in a 4chan reply), it's nice to have a neat and semi-precise phrase at hand rather than having to go down the convoluted route, get what I mean?
>>
>>8020826
u post on 4chan but cant think of any common phrases aka memes? mcfuckingkillursef
>>
>>8020766
>why is it that a professor can't be christian, but he can be jewish or islamic?
Because Gnostic heretics are on a crusade to destroy Christianity and view Jews/Muslims as allies in this task. (An 'enemy of my enemy' kind of thing.)

This has like that for at least a thousand years now; it's a really old and very bloody conflict.
>>
>>8020812
I'm not American. I don't really have anything against Trump and am sympathetic to a lot of what him and his supporters have to say. I merely used him as an example biggest he's the biggest political 'thing' currently out there and is pretty fascinating. He's consistently discussed in terms of his inconsistency, hence his relevance to what I'm asking for.

But if you want to think of me as le bad liberal bogeyman to feed your persecution complex then go for it.
>>
>>8020847
what exactly is inconsistent about trump?
>>
WHT SHOULD I HAVE FOR DINNER $ FUCKs SAKE< NEED HELP
>>
>>8020854
his views on climate change and torture and his supposed worth and his hair
>>
>>8020854
I don't know. Perhaps nothing. Perhaps everything. But that's how he's discussed and I want to learn more about it.

My lack of knowledge of what does and does not constitute inconsistency is why I've come to this thread for a book recommendation.
>>
File: real life.jpg (460 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
real life.jpg
460 KB, 1600x1200
good evening. i havn't read anything seriously for over a year, nor do i frequent /lit/ and would like some recommendations.
i'm interested in mystery, dystopia, adventure. dislike reading a lot of sword fighting or battle descriptions.

also if anyone has any recommendation pics saved please post
>>
>>8020868
>>
>>8020826
Anyone who doesn't have a short attention span will read your post without thinking, "wow, why did this guy write five words instead of one? What an ass."
It just doesn't happen. Plus, the way you choose your words define your personality (at least to me), so I see it as a good thing that you're not relying on umbrella phrases and are instead telling it like you see it from your perspective.

Don't overthink these things, anon. You're fine. ESPECIALLY on /lit/; longer replies are the norm here and are accepted (when compared with /b/, for example).

>>8020805
>a lot of phrases u hear "in real life" are just things people got from tv anyways
This. Also, phrases are more commonly nowadays turned into memes instead. Don't be that guy that talks only in memes unless you want to attract those kind of people.
>>
>>8020918
>"wow, why did this guy write five words instead of one? What an ass."

The funny thing is that I KNOW barely anybody will think this but it's always going through my head whenever I write anything. Thanks for the reply anon.
>>
>>8020953
No problem. It's clear to me that it's a self-confidence thing. Hopefully, you'll grow out of it as you look at it from an objective standpoint rather than what /you/ think people are thinking about you.

Good luck, I know self-esteem hurdles suck.
>>
Does anyone here sincerely feel like they are living their life well?
>>
>>8020971
No. I feel like a lot of my free time could be utilised as learning something new, or working on a self-made project, getting /fit/, or simply going out and makes subtle differences to people's lives and emotions. I just don't have the discipline for it.

But I am working on doing small things everyday. Right now, I am writing. Whether it's a few hundred words or a few thousand words every day, it's doing wonders for my self-confidence since I feel like I am working towards something, and can go to sleep peacefully at night knowing that I am making progress instead of wasting my life.
>>
>>8020987
tl;dr sorry
>>
>>8020993
That's why I put 'no' right at the beginning to summarise myself.

What the hell are you doing on /lit/ if you can't bother reading?
>>
>>8021005
triggering folks
>>
>>8020867
maybe instead of searching for books on "inconsistencies" you should decide if people saying trump is inconsistent have any clue what the fuck they are talking about
>>
>>8021031
For the record when I say inconsistency I don't necessarily mean it as a bad thing. I don't know what another word is ("anomaly" would probably trigger people too). "Ideological flexibility" perhaps?
>>
get book.too nicely bound and decorated to read. put on shelf and never touch.
>>
>>8015617
Oxford World's Classics aren't too expensive (usually about £2 more than Wordsworth on Amazon) and are pretty solid quality, nice cover art as well usually and they come with notes/introductions etc if that's your thing
>>
>>8020629
I know literature is subjective, give me some credit. I asked if it was intended, and not meant for interpretation. I wouldn't have asked if I knew.
>>
>>8021405
In a broad sense all relationships that have a "controlling" person share some degree of commonality, and then you could say "yeah big brother kinda is like a crazy wife or something".

But if you're asking if 1984 was trying to make some kind of metaphor for a controlling relationship or marriage, then no. That is definitely not the point of the book.
>>
Why is Raskolnikov such a self centered, coleric egoistical douche /lit/?

don't tell me he's just "crazy" ffs
>>
Whats a good book where I can read about all the great inventors, scientists, adventurers, artists, since the greek age?

I'd want essentially a list of the top 1000 great's, that I could later get into depth more about of whomever I choose.
>>
>>8021496
He WAS a self centered, coleric egoistical douche in the beginning because he was flirting with nihilistic atheism. At the end he starts to realize his errors and begins to repent his old ways.
>>
>>8021825
This has to exist but I can't find it.
>>
>>8014474
Nice pick, Butters. Weren't you on hiatus? Didn't you say you were leaving /lit/ for good?
>>
>>8021922
It probably exists as a history channel special from the turn of the last century. They were making a lot of programs reflecting on the most influential people in human history before the new millennium rolled over.
>>
>>8021922
I only keep coming across philosophy top 100 lists & poets.
It would be great if there was a 1000 Greatest People in History version.
>>8021937
I remember those programs.
>>
>>8021825
Human achievement by Charles Murray
>>
>>8014103
If I want to start writing where should I begin? Are there any helpful books or anything which I can read to improve? Obviously anything I write at the start will be shit so I want to put myself in the best position.
>>
>>8021947
Charles Murray - Human Accomplishment ,perhaps?
>>
>>8022003
You will have more success by looking for articles and interviews by writers than by looking for books. But of course you must read books and I'm telling you right now, you should read more contemporary literature if you hope to publish.
>>
>>8022011
Would you have any recommendations then?
>>
>>8022027
Start with an article on how to correct wordiness. Just plug the word into google and go from there. After that think of some contemporary authors and watch interviews of them, or type in something like

"David Foster Wallace writing advice" and read it or something (obv. you don't have to look for DFW, choose a writer of your choice.
>>
File: Marx_old.jpg (205 KB, 444x593) Image search: [Google]
Marx_old.jpg
205 KB, 444x593
I'm trying to get my head around Marx and seem to have generated some confusion in my head. In the German Ideology Marx says:

"Life is not determined by consciousness, but consciousness by life"

I'm interpreting this to mean that beliefs and ideologies in society are entirely determined by the material conditions of society, the mode of production. However, if it is the case that the only ideologies which exist are ones which are determined by the mode of production (and therefore fulfil a functional role in stabilizing in the relations of production) then surely Marx's theory itself is false as it is one of the ideologies determined by the alienated society?

Any help on this would be appreciated

I'm not sure if I'm confusing anyt
>>
>>8022058
welp ignore the last sentence
>>
What is the best available translation for Notes from Underground?
>>
File: 1421598568223.png (168 KB, 296x322) Image search: [Google]
1421598568223.png
168 KB, 296x322
What's a good word for masked disdain?

>>8021936
Thanks. Yes, I left, and it was, and still is, good.

>>8021825
I loved the show/book Connections, by James Burke.
>>
>>8022058
Marx in a nutshell: peasants and factory workers are smart enough to manage an economy and run their own government. They're not peasants for a reason or anything. Also, technology ruins society, even though technology makes society infinitely more happy, but let's ignore rational thoughts in favor of irrationalism, cuz I'm right and you're wrong, cuz I'm Karl Marx and I never worked a day in my God damn life
>>
>>8022050
Great, thanks for the advice man.
>>
>>8022073
Hey, thanks for the reply although I don't see a real response to the question I asked, do you know about the Ideology side of things?

In regards to what you say though, I'm not sure Marx said technology ruins society, isn't his entire theory of history based upon technological advancement being the driving force for revolutionairy change and as a result necessarily a progressive thing? I am still learning so don't hold me to it.
>>
>>8016126
I don't think anyone minds, but people who read for fun mostly think it's somehow intellectual they read 300 urban fantasy novels and seek validation.
>>
>>8020733
This: fanfic is best when beautifully typeset
>>
File: 20160509_161848.jpg (1 MB, 3264x1836) Image search: [Google]
20160509_161848.jpg
1 MB, 3264x1836
What are some good books about how your worldview shapes your subjective experience?
>>
>>8022009
>>8021991

Going through the book so far half of it is explaining the ranking system instead of actually talking about the various people selected.

Albeit this neat little list is something to go off of later on, pic related

>>8022068
The show looks neat!
>>
>>8019694
tedious and not funny is a bad combo
>>
>>8022137
all of them
>>
>>8021091
nah the wording of your questions is fine, he's just an ass hat
>>
>>8022137
Seriously start with the Greeks.
>>
>>8022169
I would recommend anon, to compile your own list of great people on a spreadsheet.
>>
File: The_Stand_cover.jpg (22 KB, 240x372) Image search: [Google]
The_Stand_cover.jpg
22 KB, 240x372
Is this worth a read
>>
>>8022397
yes

But dont expect an amazing ending.
The joy is in the ride, not the destination... at least in SK books.
>>
File: booksIown.png (18 KB, 910x468) Image search: [Google]
booksIown.png
18 KB, 910x468
I've had a rough time getting back into literature lately after reading a few classics which I found pretty dull. Out of this list of books I have, which would you recommend? I don't care if it's exciting or fun or moving, I'd just like to feel something.
>>
>>8022559
Don Quixote is a fun, light reading, despite its size.
>>
ever noticed the pitifully low standards and subjects of discourse on every single board on 4chan, particularly lit?
>>
>>8021483
Never mind. I don't feel like explaining myself after I did earlier.
>>
>>8014192
Sons and Lovers tbqh senpai
>>
Have you guys ever been at a bookstore, seen the placement of some books, and think that someone else from /lit/ must have been there? Last Friday I was at a B&N and I was looking if they had any Bolaño books besides 2666 and the Savage Detectives, and between the copies of 2666 there was a copy of Gravity's Rainbow and immediately assumed one of you guys must have put it there.

or am I just being autistic?
>>
>>8022571
It was a better board when older people and women weren't discouraged. But the post frequency increases and the quality goes down. Every time. I've seen it on a number of boards.
>>
>>8022758
>when older people and women weren't discouraged
Can you expound on this? I don't remember any time like that.
>>
File: Roony 2.webm (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Roony 2.webm
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>8022771
I remember "MarriedOldFag" and a number of other older people. Surely I'm the only one left (Aside from the occasional 30-somthingers. I see that one thread) and there have always been women posters, but they usually hide. The high school restroom feel of 4chan dominates and people drift away once they get their fill.

I'm just wasting my time here. Even these occasional visits are starting to wear on me.
>>
>>8022806
>Even these occasional visits are starting to wear on me.
aww, butterfly, your wings are losing the dust!
>>
>>8022571
people have been saying this 4chan was created. Hell Plato even talks about similar degration in society in his time
>>
>>8022806
I, for one, enjoy your posts. A drop of sanity in an ocean of madness.
>>
>>8022806
"I'm just wasting my time here. Even these occasional visits are starting to wear on me."

a lot of people use this place to vent their frustration, don't let it get to you.
>>
Was there ever a true Holy Roman Empire? And I'm not talking about the Godless German Conglomerate.
>>
>>8022912
>>>/his/
>>
>>8022811
>>8022834
>>8022848
butterfaggots ought to be autobanned

you all make me sick
>>
>>8022912
its a name and it defines its own meaning. no need to go all literal
>>
>>8022917
Sorry, I'll get back there right quick.
>>
>>8014103
Is this sentence self-referential?
>>
>>8022929
i like how she selflessly supports girls on /lit/
>>
File: los tres Parcae.jpg (222 KB, 1200x800) Image search: [Google]
los tres Parcae.jpg
222 KB, 1200x800
>>8022811
>>8022834
>>8022848
>>8022970
:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCVe1-WIAE0
>>
>>8022176
Aha, my friend! But is that not an apt description for the entire human condition?
>>
>>8022806
Please, leave then, your posts are terrible and actually bringing the quality down.
>>
>>8022806
>there have always been women posters, but they usually hide
Yeah, they keep quiet because gender is and should be irrelevant on 4chan. You're anonymous. Nobody cares if you're a male or female reading a goddamned book.

But I guess a namefag will never understand anonymity.
>>
File: 1455896380793.jpg (22 KB, 334x218) Image search: [Google]
1455896380793.jpg
22 KB, 334x218
yo /lit/. i havent read very many books and was looking to get into them in general. i personally am a huge lover of science fiction or fantasy but im open to anything. any recommendations you guys wanna throw my way would be awesome.

pls no bully
>>
>>8023704
Read the sticky
>>
>>8023570
>gender should be irrelevant on 4chan
>place is rampant with red pillers, no less than 10 pornography boards and 2 boards dedicated to relationship advice and sexuality.

nah m8. anonymity on 4chan really is just saying dumb shit without getting slapped by ur mum.
>>
What are some good books/essays/articles on egotism?
>>
Bit of an open question: which philosophical text(s) really shook you by their ability to perfectly articulate thoughts you'd always held but never been able to structure/express?
Thread replies: 224
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.