[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Story Structure
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8
File: Struct1.gif (7 KB, 487x285) Image search: [Google]
Struct1.gif
7 KB, 487x285
Books on story structure?
>>
That story is structured like me eating your pussy

Crisis = me saying dumb unsexy shit
>>
that story is structured like me making a shitpost
climax = someone sends me a "here's your (you)" pity post
>>
A talk, a kiss, a hit, a break, a murder.

That was easy
>>
File: image.jpg (29 KB, 355x357) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
29 KB, 355x357
>>8013445
William Archer on Play-Making PDF.

I could upload notes if you're that interested, but hey may not read well to you.
>>
File: image.jpg (697 KB, 1420x1537) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
697 KB, 1420x1537
His language is pure 19th Century and it really rubbed off on me.

This might help you grasp the structure of a Shakespearean play. You may conceive of plays themselves as a kind of ritual.
>>
>>8013663
You see how, in a 3-Act film, they may combine Acts II, III and IV into the "2nd Act"...

Archer himself is fairly understanding of this.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 993x543) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 993x543
Separately, here we have a view of Biblical narrative in the Gospels.
>>
Die Technik des Dramas by Freytag (or Freitag in German I believe)
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 162x256) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 162x256
Alexander MacKendrick wrote a book On Film-making, but I haven't read it in full.

Here is a taste of some of his slogans, if you find slogans helpful at various stages of writing:
http://www.chrisjonesblog.com/2011/11/42-ways-to-improve-your-screenplay.html
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oP3c1h8v2ZQ
>>
>>8013663
stop posting your fucking notes, faggot. get a blog.
>>
>>8013864
Get a rope, faggot.
>>
>>8013663
le shitty handwriting notebook meme man
>>
>>8013445
here's a book on story substance, story structure and story style
>>
aristotle's poetics.

I've heard from other people that gerad genette also does that kind of things.

Wikipedia has a page on what seem to be the discipline of story structure, narratology. Just google the names in that page.
>>
Didn't any classic writers ever wrote something about this topic?
>>
>>8014831
Aristotle
>>8014591
>>
>>8013445
>implying story and plot are important
>>
>>8014856
I meant besides him, I know how to read, m8.
>>
File: 1460606342914.jpg (157 KB, 757x737) Image search: [Google]
1460606342914.jpg
157 KB, 757x737
>>8013455
>>
>>8013663
wow your penmanship is so unconventional and quirky

do you post pictures of your bleeding wrist on tumblr too you fucking fruit?
>>
>>8013663
I appreciate your content even if other users do not.
>>
>>8013663
>>8013678
>>8015418
Kill yourself samefag
>>
>>8013465
>9 hours later and you haven't received a single (You)
Enjoy.
>>
>>8015418
These are really the notes of a Playwright named William Archer. It's surprising how rare it is to find a discussion of Shakespeare's intent in using the Roman structure of playwriting.

One of the first things anyone should know about story structure is the Roman method... but it's just one of the many options available. If someone has read Terence or Plautus, I'd like to hear how it compares in structure, there appear to be few good essays on that subject.
>>
>>8014856
Does Aristotle satisfy anyone seeking detailed instruction in storytelling? He is the biggest meme there is, nearly all of his contextual framework is removed from us. What does 'beginning, middle and end' tell anyone anyway?
>>
>>8013445
Maybe Hero With A Thousand Faces by Joseph Campbell is what you're after?
>>
>>8013920
>Nothing happens in the world? Are you out of your fucking mind? People are murdered every day. There's genocide, war, corruption. Every fucking day, somewhere in the world, somebody sacrifices his life to save someone else. Every fucking day, someone, somewhere takes a conscious decision to destroy someone else. People find love, people lose it. For Christ's sake, a child watches her mother beaten to death on the steps of a church. Someone goes hungry. Somebody else betrays his best friend for a woman. If you can't find that stuff in life, then you, my friend, don't know crap about life! And why the FUCK are you wasting my two precious hours with your movie? I don't have any use for it! I don't have any bloody use for it!
>>
Your best bet is going to be picking apart the movies you like on your own and breaking down the film into smaller parts in terms of all the overcome challenges and what they signify
>>
>>8017617
That's...actually pretty good, thanks anon.
>>
>>8013445
midpoints are often overlooked but are the heart of the story. google it or bell's write your novel from the middle is one of the better explanations of this.

i would also highly recommend donald maass' writing the breakout novel workbook

>>8017653
there's a really good podcast called storywonk sessions that deconstructs pixar's movies
>>
File: 4553573775_903d1e2faf_o[1].jpg (31 KB, 298x500) Image search: [Google]
4553573775_903d1e2faf_o[1].jpg
31 KB, 298x500
Laurence Sterne - Tristram Shandy
>>
>>8013663
Why do you post it? Nobody said they were interested. Stop.
>>
>>8013445
Screenwriting 101 by FilmCritHulk. It pretty much covers the main theories of story structure and some other useful writing stuff.
If you don't want to shell out the 5$, look up Dan Harmon's story circle, it's a version of the Hero's Journey that's more about actually writing stories than comparing them.

>>8013920
Good taste famalam
>>
>>8013465
(you)
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.