[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I enjoy writing but I'm not as big of a reader as most of
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4
I enjoy writing but I'm not as big of a reader as most of the serious users. I probably read less than 20 books a year. Is reading a requisit for writing or is it just that famous writers tend to read a lot? Is it causation or just correlation?

I know DFW had a huge library, but a lot of his reading was clear crap and he knew it so I can't see it as training as much as entertaining. Hemmmingway also was an avid reader but it was tied to getting to know the authors he liked, he had a secondary interest to his habit. I know there are no studies about this since it would be impposible to meassure or make a placebo group, I'd like to read your own opinions.
>>
>Is reading a requisit for writing?
It's usually a requisit for writing well. You learn how to write properly by reading and analyzing what you read.
A writer is influenced by what he reads, but it doesn't go like "read good stuff->get used to good stuff->write good stuff". You learn how to set up scenes, how to use words and grammar... by reading and analyzing, even if it is bad stuff or not great works from the Canon.
>>
File: tumblr_mlgejyS4D81rf9hn3o1_1280.jpg (955 KB, 1280x850) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mlgejyS4D81rf9hn3o1_1280.jpg
955 KB, 1280x850
>>8013258
I do take time and enjoy editing, I can recognize clear improvements whenever I revisit a text so I assume that at some level my taste is improving (or maybe changing). I've also read a good amount of theory books, from Aristotle to Pierce, and I enjoy more an abstract understanding of how things work than deconstructing every single novel or short story I get. Although that last part may be just sloth...
>>
>>8013308
You're fine I guess. Although I'm not talking about metodically analyzing stories. I'm talking about recognizing patterns, dynamicas and all of that, dunno, I just do it unconsciously by now.
However, as long as you read as a habit, enjoy it and understand what you read, you're fine. Just to know, what books did you read in 2015?
>>
File: casa1.jpg (44 KB, 600x338) Image search: [Google]
casa1.jpg
44 KB, 600x338
>>8013320
>dynamicas
spanish speaker or just bad typer?

>last year
Mh... I'm sure I'll be missing something but
>Storms of steel
>Titanes del coco
>Malestorm
>Dune
>A collection by Ballard
>Que viva la música
>Sidharta
>Something by Kawabata that I can't remember the title
>Guide for the space hitchhiker
I'm missing some stuff, but I read more around the end/begining of the year so I'm not exactly sure. After that I read mostly short stories: a Newyorker compilation, some Lovecraft stuff I missed as a teen, DFW stuff online, some Artaud recently reprinted.
If you want to give recommendations for aspiring writers that would be great and would make this less of a shit thread.
>>
>>8013359
>spanish speaker or just bad typer?
Fuck, dunno what was the cause for this one, so let's say both. Where you from m8?
Yo te recomendaría leer más filosofía. A mí me motiva más escribir para "representar" un tema o problema filosófico o ético/moral que simplemente por la trama. Alguna vez he releído alguna de mis historias y he encontrado nuevos planteamientos y perspectivas al relacionar su trama con algún concepto o idea abstracta. De todas formas, esto no es una recomendación con vocación de ley, te lo cuento únicamente como mi experiencia personal (la cual tampoco es muy válida, llevo escribiendo sólo un año).
De todas formas, me es difícil de comprender cómo alguien que disfruta escribiendo y editando no lee por voluntad propia todo lo que sus circunstancias (ambientales y personales) le permitan.
>>
File: tumblr_mrznu9qrpr1rf9hn3o2_1280.jpg (950 KB, 1280x853) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_mrznu9qrpr1rf9hn3o2_1280.jpg
950 KB, 1280x853
>>8013383
phylosophy is cool and all but I really feel that without secondary readings I'm missing a lot. I constantly see people having dumb interpretations and I rarely get as much of a text as I do when it was related to a class.
>>
night bump
Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.