[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Liquid Evil - Zygmunt Bauman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: liquidevil.jpg (5 KB, 183x276) Image search: [Google]
liquidevil.jpg
5 KB, 183x276
Has anyone read this and if so, thoughts? And does anybody have a pdf of it?
>>
sounds as some anti-alcohol book
>>
>>8012658
No, it supposedly deals with the transmutation from classical "concrete" evil to a more subtle and post-modern form, liquid evil as Bauman calls it
>>
>>8012671
>>8012658
Problem is, I don't really know what he means by this, and in the book interesting questions such as the possibility of a second holocaust are discussed, which interests me a great deal
>>
>>8012679
"Bauman's most famous book, Modernity and the Holocaust, is an attempt to give a full account of the dangers of these kinds of fears. Drawing upon Hannah Arendt and Theodor Adorno's books on totalitarianism and the Enlightenment, Bauman developed the argument that the Holocaust should not simply be considered to be an event in Jewish history, nor a regression to pre-modern barbarism. Rather, he argued, the Holocaust should be seen as deeply connected to modernity and its order-making efforts. Procedural rationality, the division of labour into smaller and smaller tasks, the taxonomic categorisation of different species, and the tendency to view rule-following as morally good all played their role in the Holocaust coming to pass. And he argued that for this reason modern societies have not fully taken on board the lessons of the Holocaust; it is generally viewed—to use Bauman's metaphor—like a picture hanging on a wall, offering few lessons.

In Bauman's analysis the Jews became 'strangers' par excellence in Europe;[11] the Final Solution was pictured by him as an extreme example of the attempts made by societies to excise the uncomfortable and indeterminate elements existing within them. Bauman, like the philosopher Giorgio Agamben, contended that the same processes of exclusion that were at work in the Holocaust could, and to an extent do, still come into play today."

I think he is basically correct. We have not evolved morally and socially beyond the kinds of people and society who do holocausts. You see this in the popularity of righy wing fascists, Trumpsterd, and the willingness of many countries to deny refugees for being the "other".

Maybe all it will take are some crises, a few gradual laws (like Trump deporting all immigrants ) that slowly morphs into another incident.
>>
>>8012763
>willingness of many countries to deny refugees for being the "other".

That doesn't particularly seem related to modernity, if anything it is inherently human tribalism. Also because people don't wanna get raped ha ha
>>
File: 1411339657518.jpg (13 KB, 320x218) Image search: [Google]
1411339657518.jpg
13 KB, 320x218
>>8012773
>ha ha
>>
>>8012773
wew
>>
>>8013138
butters???
>>
>>8014646
unsecured

butters is gone for good
>>
>>8014646
Yup.
I drop by some weekends. Should be writing though. *Slaps wrist*

>>8014699
What's a secured tripcode?
>>
>>8012763
That's very informative, thank you! And you wouldn't happen to know of his views on the so called liquid evil?
>>
>>8014717
>What's a secured tripcode?
Double hash. Double exclamation. It can't be brute-force searched like a single hash trip, the algorithm for which is known.

Not sure why anyone would put in the effort to impersonate a person who is almost never here, but, speaking personally, I think your fans still care that it's really you.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.