[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Maybe it's because I've been reading primarily modernist
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1
File: crying lot.jpg (45 KB, 300x462) Image search: [Google]
crying lot.jpg
45 KB, 300x462
Maybe it's because I've been reading primarily modernist work lately, but I'm at the fifth chapter and it hasn't really had a substantial impact on me.

So far everything feels quite shallow but may it's just me.
>>
Pynchon disowned it for a reason.
>>
yeah it's not for everyone but i love it
definetely not a 'substantial' kinda book, it's just early pynchon (V/GR) distilled into a short short novella
>>
>>8012209
Definitely not knocking the book, it flows well and I found the second chapter to be excellently crafted. I've never read any other Pynchon, but is this a good encapsulation of his body of work? Was hoping for something stronger in theme and character.
>>
>>8012217
well, you aren't very far yet ... i think lot 49 is maybe his most thematically precise and coherent, also some of his best characters in my opinion

>is this a good encapsulation of his body of work?
yes and no. it's a good preview of one period of his work. his first three novels, V, lot 49, and GR are all pretty close relatives in thematic content and style, only lot 49 is toned waay down. if you like what you see in lot 49, V and GR will give you just that in more concentrated and less accessible formats

however his first 3 novels differ quite a bit from his later work .. after GR his writing becomes less experimental on the whole... Mason & Dixon and Vineland are probably his most mature works and I know some people LOVE Mason & Dixon who don't care for his early work at all...

sorry if this is incoherent.......
>>
I thought it was trash and thought GR was great in parts but average in others.
>>
I agree on characters being shit.
>>
>>8012205

As soon as you're finished reading it, read it again. Seriously, just do it.
>>
>>8012641
>>8012672
samefag
>>
i fucking couldnt get past the first 30 pages, and i really would like to.
>>
OP here,

I finished off the last two chapters earlier and had a while to reflect on the book in general. I must say that I really did love the ending and I think the last chapter does make up for the fleeting feeling of inconsequentialness of what proceeded it.

I enjoyed the growth of Oedipa as a character, however, her supporting cast really were quite one-note, which would have been fine if [possible spoilers] the departure of each was so profound on Oedipa, and by proxy, the reader. The use of loss and paranioa was similarly used in something like Catch-22, but that had 400 pages to build the character towards isolation, whereas this happens within the course of a chapter.

Regardless, a fun book, but far from the best I've read this year.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.