[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does /lit/ think of this book?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2
File: download (10).jpg (8 KB, 168x276) Image search: [Google]
download (10).jpg
8 KB, 168x276
What does /lit/ think of this book?
>>
>>8011339
I imagine lit both likes and dislikes this book due to varying reasons.
>>
>>8011339
i have literally never heard of this book
>>
Nice hard SF, cardboard characters
>>
>>8011352
>>8011354
samefag
>>
>>8011357
Are you sure you marked the right posts? Don't make me start mspaint.exe
>>
Another quality Arthur clarke product
>>
>>8011364
>photoshop
lmao my friend lmao
>>
>>8011339
Awesome.

Don't read the sequels unless you hate yourself and like ruining good things
>>
>>8011339
bump
>>
>>8011339
It's good. Don't read the sequels under any circumstance.
>>
>>8011354
I've always thought Clarke's flat characters reflected his view of the future, where everyone is an ethnically and culturally indistinct cosmopolitan professional free of primal emotions. At least he had the tact not to promote pederasty.
>>
>>8011339
I did not finish it
>>
>>8012712
characters in childhood's end have individuality even if we don't get a deep look into them.he is a lot better about it than gene roddenberry
>>
>>8012712
>I've always thought Clarke's flat characters reflected his view of the future, where everyone is an ethnically and culturally indistinct cosmopolitan professional free of primal emotions.

if i recall it correctly the captain of the ship which discovered and explored rama was a polygamist who had at least two wives, or may be three, on different planets so they didn't know of each other

now, it doesn't look like a 'professional free of primal emotions'
>>
>>8012762
He had two wives, who did know of each other, and of course had no problem with it because we've moved beyond such petty jealousy in the future. They also had no problem with him banging the chick on his crew for the same reason. Also rules against fraternization among space crewmen exist but nobody really seems to remember why since sex just isn't a big deal and why would anyone get upset about it. The sex is just as flat and sterile as everything else about the people in Rama (and several other of Clarke's short stories, the exception always being someone ascribing to some religion--usually some asinine syncretism like "Chrislam").

Also, no one cares that the One World Government strictly regulates human reproduction everywhere because that's obviously the right thing to do once Earth's population starts spiraling up near the one billion mark. And the Mercury colony can stack up nuclear explosives like firewood for industrial use with no oversight from said benign government because who would ever think of doing something so dumb as threatening someone with violence for trying to make you do something you don't want to do?
>>
>>8011339
I was side tracked and got a little past half way through. Great book but I didn't finish it so don't take my word for it, the ending might suck for all I know thankfully I haven't read spoilers on here, personally I love the feel of the unknown, so the beginning was very interesting. Also, being more science oriented than /lit/ oriented. I love hard-sci-fi books.

You should look into this book called "The Killing Star" but be prepared for some feels and depressing general background throughout the whole book.
>>
I love the sense of awe it evokes. Non-existent characters, and it kinda loses steam toward the end, but overall very nice.
>>
File: 22346234523456.jpg (78 KB, 507x341) Image search: [Google]
22346234523456.jpg
78 KB, 507x341
It's great, Clarke is fucking GOAT, read his short stories.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.