[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Spring Snow
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 51hje09CKQL.jpg (53 KB, 324x500) Image search: [Google]
51hje09CKQL.jpg
53 KB, 324x500
I read this book a few months back and really loved it. Romantic, poetic, and nationalistic/cultural. Any similar recs? Besides continuing w/ the tetralogy.
>>
>>8010844
Did you read it in the original Japanese? I'm currently reading it in English, and am not loving it too much. I think the way that Mishima is translated to English makes his prose kind of awkward. If you read it in English, which translator did you use?

As for additional recommendations, I would go for the other Japanese greats. Kokoro by Soseki is my personal favorite.
>>
>>8010858
English version- translated by Michael Gallagher. I loved the writing style personally- every is described in such a beautiful and spiritual fashion.
>>
>>8010858
I've never had this problem before. Japanese is a pretty simple language so it translates well. It's only when it comes to their poetry that their translations are awful.
>>
>>8010844
japanese becomes so bland when translated to english that i am turn off by japanese translated novels
>>
>>8011264
I think it more has to do with the heavily refined way they have of writing where often it's the negative image of things not said, not described that give the novels their power. Their novels seem to be halfway between a western style novel and the poetry/prose stories of someone like Basho. I've heard people complain that tea tastes like flavoured water. Yes, tea is superficially quite bland, but because of it's weakness of flavour (compared to say coffee) there is room for a rich understanding of the different ways it can taste. It's similar to their prose, it is simple and lacks many of the things that make western novels good, but that simplicity (that blandness if you will) allows for the subtle things that they accomplish.
>>
>>8011299
This is actually quite accurate, and definitely why I love jap novels, even though I certainly read them in english only.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.