[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
At what point does the narrative of Infinite Jest actually pick
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: index.jpg (11 KB, 180x279) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
11 KB, 180x279
At what point does the narrative of Infinite Jest actually pick up?
I'm on like page 100 and it still seems to just be introductions to characters.
>>
It's not that kind of book, brother.

Don't be looking for cohesive narratives in meme books.
>>
You're actually reading it? Lmao. Thought I'd seen everything.
>>
>>8009650
idk, I really enjoy the depression shown in the book and I like the characters and the discussion around them etc.

>>8009645
It's just not a book that I am struggling to put down.
>>
it never does. it's like that the entire way through. it's called infinite jest for a reason. it's a jest.
>>
about 250 pages or so in. but the book is less plot driven than theme/character driven. my favorite book don't let lit tell you whether to love or hate it, keep reading and decide for yourself
>>
SOMEWHAT SPOILER!!

There really isnt any narrative unless you scour the minutia of each sentence, and then you realize that he has dreamt up this four dimensional story line (because he has made you a participant) that breaks down in hundreds of different ways. IJ is purely about dfw communicating to you the person, but ultimately realizing failure of this possibility. Solipsism is the theme to a powerful fault.
>>
>>8009635

just keep reading OP. it's not what you expect it to be and no one can really tell you what it's like, that's part of the point.
>>
File: dfw3.jpg (85 KB, 600x800) Image search: [Google]
dfw3.jpg
85 KB, 600x800
>>8009635
Keep Coming
>>
>>8009635
the essential plotlessness reveals itself around the third reading
>>
>>8009661
this
>>
>>8009661
Like what that guy said around 250 is where everything is set up. Around 400, maybe a bit later, you start having enough information to start putting the story together.
>>
File: 1460936003161.jpg (97 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1460936003161.jpg
97 KB, 1280x720
>>8009635
>He reads to find out what happens!
>>
>>8011337
>He intentionally ignores elements of the book which can be important
>>
>>8011337
Why else would you read IJ?
>>
>>8009635
I tried reading it. I actually like stories where they slow down and describe every little thing as though you were sitting in a waiting room just looking around you. But the way he did that was tedious and generally uncomfortable without progressing anywhere. I may try and get through it just to form an actual opinion on the entire book though.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.