[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This book surprised me, it was actually quite good. Any of you
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
File: the-turn-of-the-screw.jpg (39 KB, 316x475) Image search: [Google]
the-turn-of-the-screw.jpg
39 KB, 316x475
This book surprised me, it was actually quite good. Any of you read it? What did you think? Would love to dicuss.
>>
Henry James is one of the greatest prose writers ever, a true patrician's choice. Read "Portrait of a Lady" next, it's a real joy.
>>
>>8006213
thats my current read. its really good.
>>
>>8006213
I wasn't that impressed with the prose to be honest: It felt like his attempt to frequently dim certain details went beyond his intention of demonstrating victorian values and just made following the dialogue annoying. What really caught my attention was the design of the ghosts as an "intruder" element by stripping down the concept. And the kids' relationship with the Governess.

Will be Portrait of a Lady, sounds promising.
>>
i still think about it sometimes. freak-ay. i liked it a lot
>>
y'all reckon the ghosts were real?
>>
i read it and liked it a huge deal
i already knew the story from britten's opera, and the film 'the innocents', which are both really good
>>
>>8006905
i think so
i tend to think of 'the protagonist was actually mad!' as an unsatisfying and unnecessary twist, and though he made it purposely ambiguous in this case, i think the case for the ghosts existing is stronger, and more enjoyable.
>>
come someone recommend a novel similar to this? doesn't have to been plot- or genre-related - just something that gave you a similar feeling to when you read this.
>>
>>8006919
For the oldschool ghost story feel: MR James, Sheridan LeFanu.

For the 19th century governess theme: Jane Eyre, the ultimate governess novel.

Henry James also wrote many other works. This is one of the best but if you like the Jamesian ambiguity, try the novella "In the Cage", "What Maisie Knew," or maybe "The Jolly Corner" (another ghost story).
>>
I recently read this too, and enjoyed it. I thought Quint was a weird character.
>>
>>8006905
Quint's ghost, at least, had to be real. Otherwise how could the governess describe him to Gross? She never saw him when he was alive.
>>
Henry James is patrician as fuck die lit scum
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.