[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How does one go about learning Christian theology? As someone
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2
File: Bible-KJV-King-James-Version.jpg (29 KB, 310x460) Image search: [Google]
Bible-KJV-King-James-Version.jpg
29 KB, 310x460
How does one go about learning Christian theology? As someone raised in a non-religious family but someone who's always been interested in the idea religion and spirituality, I'm currently unsure about how to begin, because of the vast array of knowledge. Yet, I'm not necesarily looking to convert, but instead am interested in learning about the study of God and the way in which people think about religion and spirituality. I'm more interested in the intellectual aspects, I guess, than trying to completely assimilate into Christianity. I'm a complete novice to this, so i apologize if my question seems kind of overly broad. Should I start with the KJV?
>>
b-bump
>>
>>8005839
Go to church and read the bible
>>
File: Catholic_reading_chart_1.jpg (2 MB, 2396x4680) Image search: [Google]
Catholic_reading_chart_1.jpg
2 MB, 2396x4680
>>8004969
Go with Ignatius Press Annoted Bible and don't start with the OT it's long and you'll get bored.
>>
>>8004969
Read the bible. Then if you want to go to the next obvious step you join a church and some asshole will tell you what to think. That's how it works for all christians really.
>>
>>8004969
http://www.amazon.com/Historical-Figure-Jesus-P-Sanders/dp/0140144994

Start by reading this biography of Jesus. Then read the new testament.

Then begin researching how the bible was composed, the process of textual selection and canonization. Explore apocrypha that sounds interesting to you, and read the old testament, and reread the new, bit by bit as it becomes relevant to your research.

If you do all that you'll have a pretty good idea where you want to go from there.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.