[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>I can read 500 pages in 1 hour Is this fuck lying? And if
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
>I can read 500 pages in 1 hour
Is this fuck lying? And if not, how can I become him?
>>
Be born already gifted into circumstances where that gift is encouraged so you get even better.
>>
I couldn't even flip 500 pages in an hour.
>>
you don't need to become him
just be glad he's reading for US
stand on his shoulders
>>
That's 7.2 seconds per page, or 1728 WPM if the average page has 250 words.
>>
>>8004367
The biggest trick to reading quickly in my experience isn't trying to quiet subvocalization, but just by not glancing to the ends of each line. By that I mean, instead of looking at the first word of a line you look at the 2nd or 3rd word and pick up the previous 1-2 words, and the 1-2 words following it at a glance. Reading is done when you pause over text. This just makes you use your peripheral vision so you basically only have to make 2-3 eye movement to cover a line. Eventually you can get it down to one and start scanning down the middle of the page.

Tim Ferris explains it better
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jeOHqI9SqOI

I wouldn't take his claim too seriously about tripling your reading speed in 20 minutes. But if you practice this it should increase noticeably.
Also, remember that Bloom re-reads and memorizes everything. He reads at the pace it takes to turn a page, taking in each page in its entirety. Also remember that he has a genetic aptitude for reading, being of Jewish-Ashkenazi descent (typically high verbal IQs). I personally know 2 Jews, who in general aren't overly intelligent, but both of them are natural speed readers.
>>
Wouldn't you need eidetic memory for that?
>>
>>8004367
"I took a speed-reading course and read War and Peace in twenty minutes. It involves Russia."
>>
>>8004431
I still don't get the point of reading literature without the subvocalization. It helps when getting thru textbooks on which there's no literary art, but on the instances on which there is, it completely destroys the feel for pulse, rhythm, even the intrinsic colour of the words.

I just can't see how it would be of use when picking up any book in which the language is handled with a poetic intent.
>>
>>8004493
Exactly, you don't gulp down fine wine
>>
It's possible to train yourself to get really good at speed reading and stuff but 1) he definitely doesnt read that fast 2) keep in mind he could be talking about reading hamlet for literally (like literally literally) the 700th time and being able to glide through it and 3) why read that fast anyway. Let the words soak in like a fine wine
>>
keep in mind that Finns are known liars
>>
>>8004493
>>8004497
You don't have to read everything as fast as you can. This just allows you to read certain things faster. You can still choose whatever pace you'd like.
>>
>8004513
Yes, I know. As I mentioned, it certainly is of use when reading dry textbooks and the like.

My proposition, however, goes with regard to the OP talking about Bloom, which given the case would make one assume he's talking about speed reading proper literature.
>>
>>8004367

Lie. 100(150) is the border fo average person. Remember, that it also depends on how captivating the book is.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.