[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Do you listen to music while reading?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 9
File: tumblr_ns1vn7KxPW1qg64qdo1_1280.jpg (121 KB, 960x1280) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ns1vn7KxPW1qg64qdo1_1280.jpg
121 KB, 960x1280
Do you listen to music while reading?
>>
>>8001375
sometimes. A single song on loop. After im done reading i forever associate said book with the song and vice versa. It's pretty neat.

I started doing that a few years ago when i was reading Ask the Dust, idk why but It went along with Afterlife by Arcade fire that was on the radio.
>>
If I'm in an area with distracting background noise, I'll often block it out with Erik Satie's Gymnopedies. That's it though. Anything else distracts me.
>>
File: 1458278949741.png (588 KB, 511x655) Image search: [Google]
1458278949741.png
588 KB, 511x655
No???
>>
i assign an album to each read of a book
when i reread the book i sometimes use a different album but the rule is when reading on this read i must only and always be listening to this album

>>8001410
like this exactly but with an album
>>
>>8001375

For me, pairing music and literature is like pairing wine with food-- If you choose the wrong music for the book in hand, the experience will be disruptive and generally a shit time. If you actually take some semblance of coordination, you can actually have a more impactful experience. I find that music with lyrics are not good for the experience, as you can either get conflicting emotional states between the work and the music or, more importantly, you get caught listening more than enjoying the prose. It's easier to make a playlist than to go by album, simply because most albums are not cohesive enough emotional experiences for to follow in cue with the prose.

Listened to this while rereading Snow Country. Absolutely fucking brilliant.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uorVoWL0CuM
>>
Arvo Pärt and his tintinnabulations.

A true patrician.
>>
Brian Eno or Biosphere sometimes. Maybe Jean Michel Jarre or Vangelis. And Constance Demby.
>>
Doing so is a disservice to either the book you're reading, or the music you're listening to. Both deserve your full attention.
>>
I read when I listen to music.
>>
>>8002706
Came here to say this
>>
Sometimes, but only chill ambient music. Mostly I listen to Hammock or Stars of the Lid.
>>
File: 1458703084927.jpg (132 KB, 721x727) Image search: [Google]
1458703084927.jpg
132 KB, 721x727
I can only listen to music that i'm really familiar with, otherwise I'm trying to analyse it the whole time.
>>
I like to listen to audiobooks while I read sheet music.
>>
i like listening to sigur ros while i read
>>
>>8002855
>>8002830
>>8002698
My niggers.
>>
I listen to this on repeat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnS6S3rX8BQ
>>
>>8002854
Brekkek kekkek
>>
>>8001375
yes, but no vocals. something like earth, some drone stuff, maybe post rock. stuff like that.
>>
I find it too distracting, almost no matter what it is it makes me unable to concentrate on the book.
>>
>>8001375
Molly is so qt

Her Canadian accent is so strong and she sounds so dumb
>>
yes but only drone and ambient. I need the sound when I'm in noisy/distracting environments. I also find it good to read with ambient sound (spring and summer are great for that)
>>
I find it hard to do much of anything that requires focus without the aid of music. I'm extremely easily distracted, and, even though music itself provides some distraction it allows me to block out the majority of the things that otherwise make me lose focus. A good music choice that doesn't detract too much from my focus makes it much easier to focus on whatever it is I'm reading than no music at all.
>>
>>8001375
Ambient stuff usually, some soundtracks, minimalistic music. If I hear words it distracts me.
>>
File: man.png (326 KB, 713x441) Image search: [Google]
man.png
326 KB, 713x441
No, that's like watching a film and reading at the same time.
>>
post you last.fm's i want to see what /lit/ listens to

http://www.last.fm/user/iwasbeingironic
>>
>>8001375
I listen to classical piano music, Chopin, Field, Mozart, etc. Anything else is too distracting, especially if it has lyrics in a language I understand.
>>
>>8004058

http://www.last.fm/user/rlaennec

I listen to classical/ambient when I read
>>
>>8002706

anyone who posts something dissimilar to this deserves to be banned from /lit/
>>
>>8004058
>>8004070
I still don't understand the point of last.fm
>>
>>8001375
I listen to 'Epic Gamer Dubstep' youtube mixes and nightcore
>>
I like Bohren & Der Club of Gore and The Kilimandjaro Darkjazz Ensemble

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTXJApVAsrE
>>
no.

only simplynoise.com when faggots are loud
>>
>>8002854
kek
>>
Sometimes. I listen to Bathory while reading the Silmarillion since Quorthon and Tolkien drew inspiration from similar sources. Always think of Beren when listening Man of Iron
>>
>>8001418
>Erik Satie's Gymnopedies
my nigga

I do the same.
>>
>>8004086
It's attention whoring for hipsters.
>>
>>8004070
>Your compatibility with RLaennec is Very High.
>>
>>8004070
http://www.last.fm/user/keithtripley?utm_source=last.fm&utm_medium=application&utm_campaign=last.fm_desktop_application&utm_content=2.1.37&utm_term=WIN
>>
>>8001375
No, I have the attention span of an adult and I enjoy reading.
>>
When I'm reading, it's usually instrumental music that's playing. Reading in complete silence can get old after too long of a single session, so I make sure something fitting is playing in the background. Horror stories, creepy sci-fi, and the occasional suspenseful thriller or unsettling nonfiction book get suitably creepy music, like Godspeed You! Black Emperor's earlier stuff, The Haxan Cloak, Akira Yamaoka (the composer from Silent Hill), etc. My go-to for most books is either Boards of Canada or Akira Yamaoka, since their styles are so varied, almost every album has something fitting for almost any book.

If what I'm playing has lyrics, they either need to be incomprehensible, in a foreign language, or mixed so far into the background that they don't distract me from the book too much. Video game and movie soundtracks, ambient and electronic music, post-rock and post-metal, jpop, it's all good.
>>
lately i've been playing some Antonio Carlos Jobim.

Besides that no. My music preferences are folk and bossanova, and it takes me off of my reading if i'm playing something, and im easily distracted as is.
>>
>>8001375
No because I love 70s Funk and Soul music, which makes me jittery. I want to boogie instead of to brood.
>>
No because I'm huge faggot and listen to ASMR. It relaxes my mind so I can read with more focus. Works well for writing as well.
>>
>>8003055
thats because syrupsuckers are dumb
>>
No matter how focussed you think you are, you are listening to the music, it may be distractive, it may limit your imagination and most importantly it may turn your reading into a rhythmic exercise. If you are too autistic to just read with no additional stimulus to stop yourself from sperging out, you should kindly end your existance.
>>
>>8004551
which one are you
>>
I only listen to music when I read on the train
Otherwise I get distracted by the train sounds :3
>>
Listening to Chelsea Wolfe right now. Usually it's something droney or black metal, Drudkh, Batushka, Alcest or Bach.
>>
>>8005328
nothing by the hack in your picture
>>
>>8001375
do you read while listening to music?
>>
>>8002885
Part of me wants to scream "bullshit" when listening to this.
>>
>>8002885

Fucking gay.
>>
>>8001418
this, also Chopin's nocturnes
>>
>>8004058
http://www.last.fm/user/Goodsir555
good taste senpai
>>
>>8004086
I just enjoy documenting what I listen to
>>
>>8004058
My last.fm has my name in it and they won't let you change it

Feels bad
>>
>>8004058
http://www.last.fm/user/eToThePiTimesI
>>
File: Chelsea+Wolfe.png (155 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Chelsea+Wolfe.png
155 KB, 500x500
>>8005170
>waah waaah I can't multitask and neither should anyone else, Thomas Edison was a witch and you should all be put to death waaah

I bet you hate ebooks and audiobooks, too, don't you

>>8005289
>chelsea wolfe
My dude, good taste there
>>
>>8005131
Nice to see an answer that isn't just posturing Satie, Glass or Eno.
>>
>>8004086
Keeping track of my tastes.
>>
the only literary music is classical. if you don't exclusively listen to it then you are not /lit/
>>
>>8002885
DELETE THIS
>>
>>8006962
Studies have shown that listening to music interrupts your flow of thoughts. If you have to listen to something, instrumental music was found to be the the least disruptive. No need for your infantile >waah arguments here.
>>
>>8004086
you just have it on and it records what you listen to. its like good reads but for music
>>
File: BmWOulqCIAA2szE.jpg (31 KB, 455x647) Image search: [Google]
BmWOulqCIAA2szE.jpg
31 KB, 455x647
>>8004058
http://www.last.fm/user/ACMutd
>>
No. Maybe if I'm re-reading something. Still, probably not.

Only time I read and listen to music is if I'm working on a paper.

>>8002706
Fuck off. Yes, it's better not to taint each with the other. But leave the moral shit out of it—don't be a prig.
>>
>>8004058
http://www.last.fm/user/oggranak

more ascetic than aesthetic

forgive me for scrobbling so much Wilco. I didn't know any better. I was young. etc
>>
>>8004086
I like discovering new things on it.
>>
>>8004506
dafuq dis niqqa talkin bout
>>
File: 1451289234424.jpg (1 MB, 1739x1175) Image search: [Google]
1451289234424.jpg
1 MB, 1739x1175
I'm into shoegaze, dreampop, singer-songwriter, lo-fi, noise-rock including:
Françoise Hardy, Coil, Death in June, Black Tambourine, Cocteau Twins, Spacemen 3, The Fauns, Candy Claws, My Bloody Valentine, Suicide, Velvet Underground

Check out my music taste: http://www.last.fm/user/laceratedllama
>>
>>8007923
>I'm into shoegaze, dreampop, singer-songwriter, lo-fi, noise-rock

if I didn't know last.fm had written this for you I'd be rolling my eyes right now
>>
>>8007228
It really depends on the music.
>>8006962
She's top music waifu. Too bad she'll die from heroin overdose soon.
http://www.last.fm/user/VivaVoxLegis
My lastfm for those who care.
>>
>>8007453
denying your roots is the true sign of a pleb
>>
>>8005649
>not listening to liszts transcendental etudes while reading
pleb pseud
>>
>>8005170
you just spelled existence with an "a", please end your existance.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (14 KB, 821x91) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
14 KB, 821x91
Maybe it's a self-selecting sample because only (presumably) attentionwhores posted their lastfms, but out of those, hardly anyone didn't have le Deadly Grasps in their top 10, and those that didn't, had some other /mu/ meme trash. And almost everyone had people with anime on their avatars posting shit you'd find in a random /v/ faggot's steam shoutbox. So that's what /lit/ is like, hm. Makes sense.

At least let me pretend the majority of people here aren't typical pubescent meme-teenagers from /v/ and /mu/.
>>
>>8001505
holy shit never realized you can play koto that way.
>>
/mu/ here. You niggers know that your aren't really capable of doing both at the same time, right? You hear music, but you are not analyzing it if your are focused on reading. And if you think otherwise you either have shit taste in music or in literature.
>>
>>8010025
Go back to /mu/ faggot
>>
You're going to think I'm lying... I hate music. It's just noise to me, and I don't know how anybody stands it.
>>
>>8010116
You're just underage.
>>
>>8001375
I usually play the same song on repeat for a book, and never play it anywhere else until I'm done with it.
Then, when I play the song after the book, my mind always links the two and I get the same feelings of when I was reading the book whenever I hear the song. It wears off after awhile, but I like doing it.
>>
Yeah I listen to Juicy J when I'm playing DotA
>>
>>8010025
go back to listen to bands with under 1,000 views on youtube you hipster
>>
>>8010025
Why the fuck would you need to analyze the music? It just needs to sound good. Fuck off back to your skinny-jean boards.
>>
>>8011163
I do exactly the same thing. We're probably autistic, you know.
>>
>>8009004
>metal

>>8005783
>Jandek in top 3

>>8007453
>apologizes for listening to Wilco
>over 1000 Ellie Goulding scrobbles in last three months
>Madonna #1 all time
>listening to Taylor Swift right now

>>8007342
>Animal Collective
>69,282 plays

>>8004937
>Pitchfork

>>8004070
>Death Grips #1 past 365 days

>>8004058
>scrobbling since 6 days ago

And they say /mu/ has shit taste
>>
>>8011692
A last.fm thread on lit? I'll bite

http://www.last.fm/user/zathorg
>>
>>8011695
>http://www.last.fm/user/zathorg

you threw me for a loop there

>last year
>Lamb of God and System of a Down
>"I wonder what he listened to before that? Limp Bizkit?"
>Neutral Milk Hotel, Radiohead, Xiu Xiu
>>
>>8005649
yesssss

I either do Chopin, some HNW like Vomir, or, if I'm reading Sebald or someone similar, the Caretaker.
>>
http://www.last.fm/user/JuniorB313
check it out guys :D
>>
>>8011692
>implying there is anything wrong with Death Grips
>ignoring all my other highly patrician entries

m8
>>
>>8012037
Any fucking child can enjoy some Bach and Philip Glass on the side while listening primarily to meme grips and "REALiTi"

You are not a patrician, you are a young internet-savvy male with average taste
>>
Fuck no. Never ever.

last.fm/user/Tuberkulloosi
>>
>>8013065
I listen to death grips on the side you lil cuckquean
Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.