[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's up with all the long ass introduction and foreword
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3
File: long-ass.jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
long-ass.jpg
7 KB, 259x194
What's up with all the long ass introduction and foreword and shit. it's like those fuckers are trying to get a piece in the books.
>>
>>7997006
haha long cow
>>
File: black-bear-face.jpg (134 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
black-bear-face.jpg
134 KB, 800x600
It seems to be more or less standard fare for major publishers to add introductions to any new editions of classic works.

>mfw half of them have spoilers
>>
I love this Aussie/Britbong humor.

It evolves. It's organic. It's so alive.
>>
>>7997041
man, it's 48 page longs. Turning the page, turning the page, where is chapter 1? I keep wondering.
>>
File: Mariya-Muzychuk2.jpg (85 KB, 526x720) Image search: [Google]
Mariya-Muzychuk2.jpg
85 KB, 526x720
>>7997085

You don't need to read anything by other than the author of the work. So you should read "Preface to the Second Edition by [The Author]" but skip the "Barnes and Nobles Half-Assed Commision" by [Minor Academic]"

>mfw I can't tell how many pages I've read because I'm on page 13+xxiv-(i through viii that I skipped)
>>
>>7997006
Why would you start anywhere but the first sentence the author wrote?

Sometimes If I like the editor (I think Gibson did a foreword to Borges) I'll read that
>>
>>7997231
I always do that mate.
>>
>>7997006
They have to justify publishing yet another edition at a high enough price. Anyway they're never introductions, but rather commentaries which can sometimes be interesting.
>>
>>7997006
>tfw writing a long ass introduction and foreword yourself under a pseudonym
if i ever get published i'm going to brag about it here every day.
>>
>>7997006
I buy "Everyman's Library" books and they are the only introductions I read because they are enjoyable and give a lot of insight into the Author and their works. Every other introduction I read one or two sentences and I just skip.
>>
>>7997113
That is why. Schools must buy new editions because none of the page numbers match up. They do this so you can't just pass down most of the books and replace the few that wear out.
>>
>>7997006
>long ass introduction

why do americans needlessly insert the word "ass" into every sentence?
"long introduction" would have sufficed

also use a fucking hyphen. it is not clear whether this is an introduction that is long-ass or a long introduction to an ass
>>
>>7997383
>I buy "Everyman's Library" books
My nigga.

They're up there with Wordsworth Classics.
>>7997632
It's a visual pun you dumb fuck.
>>
>>7997632
>you will never fuck a girl who's ass has its own introduction

Why live?
>>
>>7997632
>why do americans needlessly insert the word "ass" into every sentence?
its adapted from Black American slang, and for us saying something like "long-ass" just works

Cant wait for the day I can get paid to teach Ebonics
>>
>>7997632
>also use a fucking hyphen
why do brirlts needlessly insert the word "fucking" into every sentence?
"use hyphens" would have sufficed
>>
>>7997632
OP here, I'm not america. In fact, I'm asian living in Asia.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.