[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What are some famous essays? I'm horrible at writing them
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1
File: 1413675740279.png (316 KB, 540x360) Image search: [Google]
1413675740279.png
316 KB, 540x360
What are some famous essays? I'm horrible at writing them and figured that reading some famous ones would help
>>
Orwell, Woolf, Chesterton, Twain, and Bacon are some of the great essayists of the English language. Just pick any.
>>
>>7994774
the problem with these essays is that they do not follow the strict rules that university essays require
>>
Famous essays don't usually follow the "hamburger" format they push in schools. They're usually personal essays with lists, or experimental formats etc. All in all reading famous essays won't make your homework easier, but writing essays and then sitting down with your teacher or university's writing centre will.

If you're still insistant you can try

"Why I write" - George Orwell
"Black men in public spaces" - Brent Staples
"The origins of inequality" - J-J. Rosseau
"The Rebel" - Albert Cammu
>>
>>7994774
And Montaigne of course.
>>
>>7994817
That's why I said of the English language. But, as you say, Montaigne is a must.
>>
Any essays by Emerson.
Schopenhauer essay on why you should kill yourself.
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.