[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What kind of names does /lit/ plan on giving (or have already
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 14
File: ulysses.jpg (33 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
ulysses.jpg
33 KB, 300x300
What kind of names does /lit/ plan on giving (or have already given) children.

All I can ever really think of are standard English names like John, Edward, James, David, Daniel, Samuel, George, Henry, Thomas, etc.

But I've been thinking about naming a child after pic related.

Ulysses is such a great name with rich literary and historical taste.

What other names stand on the same level?
>>
Melvin
>>
>>7992137
that dudes name is Hiram, OP
>>
>>7992137
Zerubbabel

It means dispersion of confusion, or 'wanderer of Babylon' in Hebrew
>>
Markus
>>
Peregrine
>>
Aurelio
>>
>>7992137
Elspeth, Shadrach, Melisandre, Belisarius and Melchizedek
>>
>>7992137

What if you have a girl?

If I have boys I want to name them Omar or Jerome but they're not gonna be black so I don't think it would work. If girl, then I would pick Rhiannon or Dora (Short for Theodora)

Redpill me on impregnating Black girls.
>>
The equivalent of these, depending on what country I'm living in by the time my children are born:

-Franz
-Miguel Ángel
-Alejandro

If the vermin happens to be a girl:

-Alice
-Miriam
-Ariadna
>>
>>7992137
Cerinthus
Basilides
>>
https://www.reddit.com/r/childfree
>>
File: Virgil-Quotes-1.jpg (71 KB, 477x278) Image search: [Google]
Virgil-Quotes-1.jpg
71 KB, 477x278
>>7992137
Virgil.

"Virgil" has no inherent meaning besides its relation to the poet (and perhaps Dante's character.) I think that is a good ground for a name. I would not want my child to be bound to a specific meaning. Names like "Justice" and "Hope" must be lived up to. I would hate to name a daughter Hope and have her become depressed. The most loathsome possible name would be "Christian" *tips . There are more subtle variations of this, but the point is the same: I do not wish to pin a quality or meaning via name on a child.

The issue is, I must still name my child. I am opposed to the nonsense names that we commonly find among Negroids such as Laqueesha, Shaneequa, Tyrone ect. These names seem to be created on-the-spot as a pathetic attempt at individuality. A name such as "Virgil" bears minimal weight while still being respectable. "Virgil" is good name.
>>
>>7992419
Virgil the virgin will kill himself before even growing his pubes, think again
>>
>>7992162
Knew a guy named this. He was certifiably autistic and a human calculator. Ended up marrying a pretty cute, extremely obnoxious girl. Possibly for his money.
>>
>>7992419
Fat Landwhale: Omg Virgil I bet your dad played video games! Devil may cry is a classic! :D xD
>>
File: H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg (24 KB, 285x352) Image search: [Google]
H._P._Lovecraft,_June_1934.jpg
24 KB, 285x352
>>7992137
Nigger-Man
>>
File: 1461787813167.jpg (44 KB, 680x765) Image search: [Google]
1461787813167.jpg
44 KB, 680x765
>>7992466
>>7992439
Damn. Back to the drawing board. What about Daedalus and Icarus?
>>
>>7992480
Icarus "icky icarus" "icarus cock" "icarused your moms pussy" Daedalus seems cool and it can be shortened to Day or Dalus and thats far cooler than Ick or Icky or Ike.
>>
17-X
>>
Anaximander;
Anaximenes;
Pythagoras;
Archytas (or Architas);
Xenophanes;
Parmenides;
Anaxagoras;
Leucippus;
Solon;

My favorites are Architas and Solon though.
>>
why does /lit/ want their kids to get beat up at school?
>>
>>7992512
this, you can't just name your kid anaximaner, icarus, or Aurelio without your kid getting beat up, made fun of, or psychologically damaged.
>>
>>7992137
Tighearnán
Mael Sheachnaill
Toirdhéalbhach
Fionnbharra
Feidhlimidh
Cuirithir
>>
I am so glad none of you dweebs named me.
>>
Felix, Marcus, Alexander, and Victor.
>>
>>7992137
idris elba
>>
>>7992519
>>7992512
By the time I will have my children, the SJW culture will be so proeminent in the everyday life that I could name my son Architas and there would be no consequences whatsoever. That's what I'm hoping for anyways.
>>
>>7992419

I dated a girl named Hope and she was depressed af.
>>
>>7992512
>sending your kids to school
>>
Rodion
Siddharta
Zarathustra
Alexey
>>
>>7992592
Oh?
>>
If it's a boy, Bartleby Blundergoth

If it's a girl, Stella Artois
>>
Lucido
Amberley
Chronic
Elvisson
>>
boy: rick

girl: rose
>>
>>7992319
booty
what else do you need?
>>
Irisol
Sumera
Eccletan
Numero
>>
Boys: Julian and Marcell

Haven't thought much past that 'cause I'm pretty sure I'm going to have two boys.
>>
Firstborn son: Leopold
Firstborn daughter: Anna Livia

No other possibilities.
>>
>>7992499

Damn I didn't think of Parmenides, though I love him. That's really a pretty kick-ass name.

Also, how about just naming your kid Whitman? I think it has a nice cadence with my last name.
>>
>>7992137
Elias is a family name, so that's probably going to be a name down the line. I also like Vera and Melony for girls.
>>
ITT: parents whose future kids are going to be bullied
>>
Charlemagne
>>
what's with all of the fucking retarded names? Thank god you people won't reproduce, some of this shit is worse than Aiden, Caiden or Brayden. Goddamned degenerates, one of my cousins named her kid Jayselin. WHAT THE FUCK KIND OF NAME IS THIS SHIT?

Only names from the bible or historical figures and names that are not fucking foreign, there is nothing faggier than having an English name in a non-English speaking country or being a white American and naming your kid some stupid bullshit foreign name. I knew a guy from Brazil named Mikal, which is how retarded monkies spell the English name Michael instead of using the perfectly fine indigenous Miguel.

Male:
Peter
Cyrus
Charles

Female:
Isabella
Victoria
Elizabeth
>>
Jillann
Gunthor
Elcid
Prescus
>>
>>7992766
>Elcid
That's some good shit. Better yet, name him Cid but INSIST on the proper Spanish pronunciation, with lisped c and long i. Everyone will love him.
>>
>>7992480
>>7992499
>>7992522
>>7992597
>>7992616
>>7992672
these are super gay, dudes. that's some bitch-ass wannabe-posh names. are you trying to get your kids bullied? give them a cool name like Sal or Don. and teach them how to throw and take a punch, for god's sake.
>>
>>7992480

Ickyrus, and Daedalus is too exotic. Go for something like Hektor, Paris, Antony, Julian, that kind of thing.
>>
File: 2128-001.jpg (243 KB, 642x893) Image search: [Google]
2128-001.jpg
243 KB, 642x893
Sambuca, Ophelia, Medusa or Artemis(ia) if it's a girl.
as for boys, Lucifer(o), Ermes, Carmelo.
there are a lot more, many of which i couldn't simply work with, not even willingly, for aesthetic's sake, seeing as Sardinian surnames don't mix up very well with English names like Baron.
>>
>>7992512
Eh they just have to put up with that shit till middle school. Everyone really stops "bullying" in High School since "bullying" equates to you just being a dick. I'd rather give me son a cool, unique name that he will most likely appreciate down the road instead of naming him John and have protected from all the elementary teasing.
>>
I like Gloria and Victoria for girls. If I have a son he will be James III. I don't know what I'd name a second son.
>>
I'm almost convinced all the horrible tryhard names are shitposting. But anyway:

Female: Isadora.
Male: Whatever.

I'm never going to reproduce because the only woman I want to spend my life with believes love is all about sexual desire while at the same time her friends are way hotter than me. Doomed to fail. Why live?
>>
>>7992313
>that pic

JUST

Seriously who the fuck does that to a kid
>>
Oedipus
>>
File: image.jpg (30 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30 KB, 480x360
>>7992750
Yfw you think of cyrus the great but most people would just think of trailer park boys
>>
>>7992851
James IV, obviously.
>>
>>7992873
I don't think it works like that. There can only be one per generation.

If I have 3 daughters, the third one is being named James III, I don't care if she is a girl.
>>
>>7992137
>Ulysses
Had it in mind too, great name.
>>
File: thumb_image.jpg (22 KB, 210x240) Image search: [Google]
thumb_image.jpg
22 KB, 210x240
>>
>Boy
Oliver
>Girl
Louisa
>>
>>7992838
>Everyone really stops "bullying" in High School

lol this is wrong
>>
Necropal
Kervin
Osfler
Tunitis
Breh
>>
something irish, but not too trendy. I really like Deirdre for a girl.

>tfw Aidan
>>
>>7992137
Only Ulysses I ever met was a nigger.
>>
chad
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (88 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
88 KB, 1280x720
ACHILLES!
ODYSSEUS!
>>
Mikhail, Ilya, Anton, Aleksandr or Aleksei

For girls maybe Aleksandra so I could just call her Sasha and pretend it was a boy, or Nadezhda for my mother

Is everyone here exclusively from the US? I am surprised by 100% of the names being anglo
>>
>>7992512
Exactly.

Before you name your boy you have to think like a grade-school bully.

I love most of the names in this thread, but as a 10 year old I would have socially destroyed anyone who had them.
>>
If boy: Alex
If girl: Joelle
>>
>>7992865
kek
>>
>>7992780
>Sal
>Don

This isn't 1946.
>>
>>7993480
no, but only amerifats would post in such threads (other than you, tovarish)
>>
if boy: bo
if girl: maybe alexandra because i like when females are called alex
>>
File: 1462259696001.jpg (319 KB, 1228x1010) Image search: [Google]
1462259696001.jpg
319 KB, 1228x1010
>male
John
Adam
Patrick

>female
Henrietta
Abigail
Olivia
>>
boy: Cristiano Ronaldo Jr
girl: Cristiano Ronaldo Jr
>>
I like Otilia
>>
Girl: Laura or Pacifica

Boi: "Muhammad"
>>
Boy: Adolph Blaine Charles David Earl Frederick Gerald Hubert Irvin John Kenneth Lloyd Martin Nero Oliver Paul Quincy Randolph Sherman Thomas Uncas Victor William Xerxes Yancy Zeus Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorffwelchevoralternwarengewissenhaftschaferswessenschafewarenwohlgepflegeundsorgfaltigkeitbeschutzenvorangreifendurchihrraubgierigfeindewelchevoralternzwolfhunderttausendjahresvorandieerscheinenvonderersteerdemenschderraumschiffgenachtmittungsteinundsiebeniridiumelektrischmotorsgebrauchlichtalsseinursprungvonkraftgestartseinlangefahrthinzwischensternartigraumaufdersuchennachbarschaftdersternwelchegehabtbewohnbarplanetenkreisedrehensichundwohinderneuerassevonverstandigmenschlichkeitkonntefortpflanzenundsicherfreuenanlebenslanglichfreudeundruhemitnichteinfurchtvorangreifenvorandererintelligentgeschopfsvonhinzwischensternartigraum, Senior.
Girl: Stacy
>>
>>7993758
Is this name from a work by James Joyce?
>>
Well I've always wanted to name my kids culturaly wise which is that of Russian so...

>Vlad
>Yuri
>Kirill

But the problem with most western countrys that is if you were to start your own buisness or look for employment it's quite hard with "Yuri" or "Kirill" compared to that of "Adam" or "George".
>>
>>7993480
My brothers name is Ilya :)
>>
Girl: Lilith, as I find that it's a truly beautiful name.
Boy: I'm not sure, actually. Maybe name him after my father, or something.
>>
>>7993765
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hubert_Blaine_Wolfeschlegelsteinhausenbergerdorff,_Sr.
>>
>>7992137
Donald
>>
>>7993661
American style names. I like it
>>
>>7992419
>>7992439
>>7992466
There was guy in middle school called Virgil, and it was absolutely fine during these shit years. Later in life it becomes even better. 18/20, would name my kid.
PS: Not in the US though
>>
>>7993777
I love this name. What is your pref names? Or are you >>7993773?

I think it's important to choose names that sound good with patronymic, which is why I want name starting with A for my son to match my name. What do you think?

>>7993773
I love the name Yuri, but Vlad is so boring. Vladimir is much better.
>>
>>7992479
i think this choice is underrated

also, i'd choose Patrick because that's my middle name
>>
>>7993855
Yes that is me haha, I will actually agree with you on the Vlad part.

Yuri is my personal favorite also mainly due to Red Alert 2 ;)
>>
cunt nigger the third
>>
>>7993855
Why not Jerzy or Joji?!
>>
>>7993875
I hope that you don't mind if I take that.
>>
>>7993975
be my guest sir
>>
I feel bad for all these kids, 99% of names in this thread scream "please bully me"
>>
File: image.jpg (59 KB, 357x530) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
59 KB, 357x530
Wilhelm
>>
Richard is a horrible name for a child.
>>
you guys are all sixteen arent you? At least I hope you are. All these faux "lit names" are autistic as fuck, but eh what do you expect from a board full of dilletentes
>>
>>7992419
Where I live, the only people called Virgil are black.
Als DMC Vergil > pussy ass roman Virgil
>>
File: Vergin_Maro.jpg (125 KB, 576x768) Image search: [Google]
Vergin_Maro.jpg
125 KB, 576x768
Why are you thinking of Virgil only, why not just Vergilius?
>>
>>7993969
I am not a Pole

>>7993874
I have not played it but have heard good things. Yura is very cute as well, which is important. Great choice/10.
>>
>>7995198
>I am not Pole
>Therefore, I just replace this weird Pole "Jerzy" with great Ukrainian/Belarusian/Russian "Yura".

They all are just different versions of Greek Georgios anyway
>>
Sebaste.

I am absolutely charmed by this name, and it is the greek equivalent of the name my own name is derived from, so it appeals to my desire to create some kind of monument to myself (narcissitstic/10, maybe).
>>
>>7992863

Shut up, Lakynn.
>>
I knew a kid in school called Zeno and he was hot and cool and fucked literally all the girls
>>
I'm actually having a kid in early January. My picks for girl names are Annabel, Vivienne and Alice. Boy names would need to include either Harry or Rupert, for our grandfathers' names.

The girl names are the only literary ones. I like Annabel best, because then it'll be two generations named after Poe poems.
>>
>>7995221
Yes, I am not a Pole, therefore I use the version of a name that is consistent with my language and culture. Is this strange to you?
>>
>>7995314
Russian here as well, though I don't live there. One son, named Konstantin.
>>
>>7995314
I assumed that you are non-CIS resident, no offence, mate
(not to mention that i am one of those)
>>
>>7995632
I actually do live in Russia, but I am attending school in the US. I plan to go back when I am done, because I am kind of pathetic and don't like being away from my family.
>>
>>7992137
Well, if it's a boy, I'm thinking Thomas.
For a girl, I'm partial to Alice (first choice) and Victoria. I like Lilith a lot too, but I don't think I'd use is due to the negative connotations.

They'll all get a shit-ton of middle names though, regardless.
>>
>>7995649
I think Lilith is great, and in contemporary culture doesn't really tend to have negative connotations. Lily is a beautiful nickname too
>>
>>7995640
I have kind of reverse attitudes on this matter, but who knows, maybe i'll change them when it will be my turn to leave my family. I don't really bonded to it, though i ain't try to isolate myself either.
>>
>>7995672
It is very different here in the US. I don't really like it. I did not think I would miss home at all when I first came here, but now I am counting the days until every break. Maybe this is because I have never lived in such a big city before, not because it is the US, but it really makes me appreciate my family and my hometown. I hope the experience is better for you.
>>
>>7992780
I have a weird last name so my kids will get bullied either way.
>>
File: viking-06.jpg (1 MB, 1680x1050) Image search: [Google]
viking-06.jpg
1 MB, 1680x1050
>>7992137
Beowulf, Tyr, Ragnar, Eric, Gustav, Hakon, Ralph, Sigmund, and Ulf.

Don't you want your son to grow up to be an alpha with a keen interest in Norse/Germanic lore?
>>
>>7992480
Icarus is way too posh. Daedalus sounds like a stereotypically ghetto name. Please just give your kid a normal name, like George or Samuel.
>>
>>7995721
Snow nigger please...
>>
>>7995719
No one cares about last names, everyone cares about first names. Give your kid a socially acceptable name, not a fedorable meme name that is way too posh and pretentious.
>>
>>7992137
I've been set on Achilles, Ulysses, and Virgil for a guy for a while now. Considered Dante but it sounds too edgy

For a girl the only one I've set my heart on is Persephone shortened to Seffy
>>
>>7995721
Slightly awkward men with metal band T-shirts and long, frizzy hair want to call their kids these names.
>>
>>7992152
I live in Hiram

I named my kid Hermione.

I always wanted to name my daughter Persephone but my autistic fucktard ex said no and Hermione was the only thing we could agree on.
>>
>>7995743
Virgil will be bastardized to Virgin. Your kid will be bullied without mercy.

Ulysses and Achilles are too posh and too pretentious. Those are meme-tier names. They will brand your child forever. Please just give them a normal, socially acceptable name.
>>
>>7995745
Seeing as you wanted to brand your kid with the ridiculousness that is 'Persephone', you might be the autistic one, anon.
>>
>>7992137
Major Major
>>
>>7995754
>too posh and too pretentious
Maybe if you're fucking poor
>>
>>7995755
Persephone is a fine name
They'll just go by Seffy in regular life
>>
>>7992137
>English names

>Half are Biblical names
>>
Jasper
>>
>>7992137
Caligula or Alice, it is partially about aesthetics and partially about naming for success.
>>
Rufus
>>
>>7992750
>some of this shit is worse than Aiden

;_;
>>
>>7992137
Stupid procreator. How can you subject another living being against their will to suffer through the fundamentally absurd nature of existence?
>>
>>7995896
Nice bait reddit
>>
Give a name from one of the saints on the day they're born.

http://catholicsaints.info/3-may/
>>
File: 1459485000839.gif (81 KB, 182x249) Image search: [Google]
1459485000839.gif
81 KB, 182x249
>>7995904
He is saying something I don't like but can't create an argument against.
>Must be reddit
>>
>>7995930
You didn't even make an argument to begin with.
>>
My eldest son will be named after me (Andrew), Arthur is my next choice but George is up there. Girls I'm not as picky. Alice and Grace are nice I suppose.
Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.