[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Philosophy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /lit/ - Literature

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2
File: i never was.jpg (58 KB, 425x508) Image search: [Google]
i never was.jpg
58 KB, 425x508
How important is it to a philosopher that he read Meditations, by Marcus Aurelius?

I feel like it will only tell me things that i have already thought myself.
>>
I think application is more important than whether you have "thought" of it or not.

I'd drop the presumption too desu
>>
>>7990392
it is laced with gold that book. I don't even read philosophy that much but I believe it is the perfect guide to how to lead your life
>>
Importance zero.
>>
>>7990392
Philosophy is a waste of time
>>
this is such a moronic post

Meditations is like 100 pages, and most of that is empty space in between aphorisms

youre squabbling over shaving 100 pages out of your "required philosopher reading"
>>
>>7990415
Life is encapsulated by philosophy; You can not live without it. In all your achievements and your ills, philosophy is inherent in the nature of the world. There is no point in living, if one can not understand why one lives.
>>
>>7990392
Hey I am a philosopher, would love to share my story. I was a smart student in high school, got mostly Bs and Cs but that's because I didn't really care. I was into Philosophy from an early age (I read mostly Marcus Aurelius, its really important to a philosopher like myself) and shocked my teachers daily with my insights. I applied and got into Plymouth State University in New Hampshire, mainly because philosophy and its practice requires great natural beauty. I did ok in college, and maintained a solid 2.5 GPA. Most of the other students were way below me but that's ok, I pretty much led the class discussions and made sure to raise my hand on every query so I could really blow the teacher away.

I maintained a 3.2 GPA in my major so I was inducted into Phi Sigma Tau, which is a moment of pride for me and my mom. After I finished college I moved back to my moms house to plan my next moves. Typically, a lot of employers are a little nervous about the intellectual capabilities of philosophy majors, so I was planning for about 5 years. At that point my mom threw me out, so I borrowed some money from her to open a crossfit gym with a buddy of mine. But we couldn't make second months rent so I found myself on some friends couches. The worst was when I started being a gay prostitute on backpage to make ends meet, and I sold a little heroin for a friend too. This really all added to my philosophical outlook, but it wasn't very fun (I am straight). I luckily picked up a girl around this time, she was a really fat nurse who is pretty desperate but loves me all the same. I don't love her (thats a spook) but she doesnt ask me to work so I am able to sit around, read, and think all day. I sometimes get a job, but I cannot handle the idea of not being the master of my own destiny.
>>
>>7990425
Stop being a pretentious faggot. You remind me of 18 year olds in my philosophy survey class like a decade ago.
>>
>>7990439
Its true though. Even 4chan has a philosophy that people can contemplate and understand.

am i being a faggot? maybe.
>>
>>7990444
Its not fucking true. probably 95% of people are perfectly capable of doing brainless work all day and then coming home to stare at the TV

>You can not live without it
bullshit
>>
>>7990455
yeah, but those people arent people. come at me, i got a whetstone for you.
>>
>>7990434
delet
>>
File: 902510-L.jpg (21 KB, 298x500) Image search: [Google]
902510-L.jpg
21 KB, 298x500
>having to read philosphy to learn how to live life
>not already being a tactical genius

Don't waste your time OP
>>
>>7990434
I kept waiting for the part where your life isn't shit but it never came
>>
reading Aurelius for a guide to stoicism is like reading Paris Hilton for a guide to hedonism.
>>
>>7990689
Yes, and?
>>
Enchiridion of Epicetus > Meditations of Marcus Aurelius
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.